Author Topic: Ebay Scammers  (Read 4097 times)

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Ebay Scammers
« on: April 12, 2018, 03:01:01 PM »
XYZ Proturn CNC lathe on eBay, seller listing masses of other stuff. Says buy it now price is £1400 delivered !

So I email him and get this reply:

Thank you for your interest. Sorry for the late reply. The item is still for sale and available for viewing in Kirkwall, Orkney - North Scotland. It belonged to my father who unfortunately passed away few weeks ago. All related paperwork are available in my name. My last asking price is £1400 including delivery to your home address. Where abouts are you based?

See below some info on the item :

XYZ 410 CNC gap bed lathe with prototrack lx2 control

In good condition for age was working when removed from factory 3 weeks ago

Complete with 3 jaw chuck

I look forward to your reply.

Kind regards,
John

So I reply thus:

How very convenient, I’m in Finstown on Orkney so only about 7 miles away or 10 minutes drive – give me the address and I’ll pop over and see it tomorrow

Regards,

Andrew

Place your bets whether I get a reply  :lol: :lol: :lol:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline tom osselton

Re: Ebay Scammers
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 03:12:12 PM »
Time will tell!

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 05:02:34 PM »
If it belonged to his late, lamented, father; why is it in a factory? Are there many factories in Orkney?
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 05:05:47 PM »
While you're on your way to Orkney, why not pop in and see this little gem?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Boxford-ANC-CNC-Lathe/112930558180?hash=item1a4b2f90e4:g:uvcAAOSwP8lazZEH

Only a grand, and it looks like it's exactly the sort of thing you love (a broken down, battered looking CNC :D)
Cheers!
Ade.
--

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 05:25:33 PM »
Two of those on eBay Ade. Not keen on non slant bed  CNC lathes - they are basically conversions of manual lathes.

Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline wgw

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2018, 04:36:41 AM »
Sounds familiar, I live in N Scotland and have replied to a couple of these people over the years. When faced with me coming up to look they are on a fishing boat or an oil rig. But please remember there are genuine sellers in the wilder parts of the country, not all are crooks and some really do live here.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2018, 08:25:02 AM »
This chap was listing (before ebay pulled them) hundreds of things from Rolls Royces to Quad bikes and I sure he owns none of them !

Yes I've been to Kirkwall, and also most of the North coast of Scotland from Cape Wrath to Thurso taking in Dounreay Nuclear establishment where our computers were in control  :bugeye:
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 10:44:42 AM by awemawson »
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2018, 05:07:53 PM »
Two of those on eBay Ade. Not keen on non slant bed  CNC lathes - they are basically conversions of manual lathes.

My Mazak is a slant bed  :poke: :lol:

One day I really must get that thing going...
Cheers!
Ade.
--

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2018, 05:33:22 PM »
I'll give you 50p delivered  :lol:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2018, 12:35:50 PM »
Well well well, I got this reply (surprisingly) - but I still think that it's a scam :

Hi again, Unfortunately I am working in Rome, Italy at the moment for the next few months...and Kirkwall, Orkney is to far away to arrange viewing for each offer i get. I suggest going through PayPal for your peace of mind. We will use PayPal - Pay After Delivery which gives you 14 days for the item to be delivered/inspected before any funds are released to me. Regarding delivery someone will transport it safely to your location.

Please read the PayPal (Pay after delivery) terms by clicking on the link below:

https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/pay-after-delivery-terms

This purchase protection guarantees that the item is exactly as described; basically, once delivered, you'll have 7 days to inspect it and if you decide not to keep it you will get refunded in no time and they will charge me with the return costs. I will get paid only after you confirm that you have received the item in good order.

Let me know if you want to go ahead as I still have quite a few more offers from potential buyers. If you do want to go ahead please email me your full name and address along with your daily contact number to get this purchase registered with PayPal - PAD (pay after delivery).

P.S - See attached several photos.

Regards,
John

So what do YOU think? - when things seem too good to be true I find that usually they AREN'T true !
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Pete.

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2018, 01:19:31 PM »
I think you ought to offer him a trade for some magic beans....

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2018, 01:26:35 PM »
Well he didn't take it with him so there should be some way to view it I would think after all someone would have to pick it up to deliver it.

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2018, 06:11:56 PM »
Well well well, I got this reply (surprisingly) - but I still think that it's a scam :

So what do YOU think? - when things seem too good to be true I find that usually they AREN'T true !

Well.... "This purchase protection guarantees that the item is exactly as described; basically, once delivered, you'll have 7 days to inspect it and if you decide not to keep it you will get refunded in no time and they will charge me with the return costs" - I couldn't find that in the agreement text. Just that the amount wouldn't be taken out of your bank account if you opened a dispute within 14 days, until the dispute procedure is complete (and if they find for the seller, they'll take the money anyway).

It's going to cost someone a packet to drag it all the way down to Battle if it does exist... is it worth it?
Cheers!
Ade.
--

Offline Pete49

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2018, 11:21:27 PM »
Its a con. Just forget it and move on with your existing cnc lathe. I'm sure you know this but just testing us.
Pete
oops..........oh no.........blast now I need to redo it

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2018, 02:22:22 AM »
Pete I don't want it anyway, it's not a slant bed. I'm just having a bit of wicked fun with the scammer  :lol:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Pete49

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2018, 10:24:27 PM »
 :beer: go your hardest Andrew. They need touching up with a cricket bat to show them the error of their ways.
oops..........oh no.........blast now I need to redo it