Author Topic: Spiral Bevel Gears  (Read 9978 times)

Offline Joules

Re: Spiral Bevel Gears
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2018, 01:42:04 PM »
Thanks Lyn, I am hoping the gears from Russell might do the job.  Good to know a source of gears from outboard motors.
Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2018, 06:56:52 PM »
If you end up needing another set, I think I also have a couple of old outboard gearboxes kicking around. Whether I can FIND them or not, remains to be seen...!
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline Joules

« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2018, 07:19:05 PM »
That would be very welcome Ade now I think these are a viable option.

Offline Joules

« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2018, 12:37:53 PM »
I managed to pay RussellT a visit this afternoon.  Bit of a natter and collect the gears he had found for me.   Got a bit more than just the two gears, the rest of the shaft and the reversing gear.  I didn’t know that was how they reversed the prop on an outboard by sliding a selector to pick one of the two bevel gears.   Anyhow, this looks a great place to start for the milling head.

If anyone is interested Russell kept the prop and we recon it would be a good basis for a home made twin tube, should anyone be so inclined.

:dremel:

Cheers Russell

Offline Joules

« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2018, 03:06:42 PM »
And, for my next dodgy trick, machining the gear to fit on the ER11 spindle.   The gears are really nice and VERY hard.  When you think of their working enviroment, thick grease and 6hp into a prop they need to be tough.

The setup for machining the gear isn’t great, but for one gear I didn’t really want to make a carrier to support the gear.  I clocked it true gripped in the jaw teeth, it needed a little heavier cut than I was happy with to break the surface but machined OK after that.   Well until the last cut when I was under dimension, then over dimension by 0.04mm, gibs not tight enough I think.

I will grind a recess on the spindle to take some stainless shim that will pack the gear to a tight fit, the gear will also be keyed onto the spindle.   You can see the RIZZLA paper shim gives me a tight fit, by using a recess it will trap the thicker shim on the spindle.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 05:29:35 PM by Joules »