Author Topic: Small carbide tool grinder  (Read 462 times)

Offline Doc

• Old but still usefull (I hope) ?
    • My Youtube Channel
Small carbide tool grinder
« on: April 18, 2018, 01:00:44 PM »
One last quick little project I've been meaning to do. I have a carbide tool grinder but wanted to make a smaller unit. I found some CBN wheels really good price for 4inch dia unfortunately they came busted in the mail. The seller gave me a refund but I really did want a set of wheels and asked if he'd just try it again. Apparently didn't want to deal with me again and just gave me a  refund oh well. I found some other wheels a little more on the price so we will see how they come.
  In the mean time I had a piece of aluminum channel 5" wide so I started. I'm making 2 as a friend of mine is just starting setting up a home shop  so I'm making one for him. The motors I'm using are   12volt motors  high torque really nice motors and I'm using old computer power packs for the power. Should work really good. I used one of these motors for the power feed conversion on my lathe. I ordered a couple more. Anyway this little project shouldn't take too long provided I get CBN wheels this time that aren't smashed and broken.
George

Offline John Rudd

Re: Small carbide tool grinder
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 02:44:52 PM »
Hey Doc nice job so far... :bow:  but..... Have you a link to the motors you used? Ebay perhaps?

Cheers
John
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline Doc

• My Youtube Channel
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 05:30:45 PM »
I've purchased a few of these they are nice motors they put together nice and a snap to take apart and modify the shaft to what you need.  The ones I'm going to use for these grinders I'll turn and single point threads on them. Then I'll make a hub for the wheels and attach them to the shaft.
Here is the link to the motor
George

Offline Doc

• My Youtube Channel
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2018, 09:09:39 AM »
I did get time to work on it a little more after getting the CBN wheels I ordered. The wheels I ordered were flare cup wheels compared to dish wheels I was originally going to use. Anyway here is a vid on the build.

George