The Shop > Tools

Sprayable Wax - does it exist?

(1/9) > >>

awemawson:
I've been doing a bit of woodwork recently, using among other tools my Planer / Thicknesser which is part of my Dominion Elliot combination woodworking machine.

Experiencing feed issues I realised that the lower table that wood slides on had a slight haze of rust from infrequent use. Now I use Silber Wax usually on woodworking machines but it does mark the timber.

I'd spotted a Beeswax Spray in the domestic stores - ideal I thought, a light beeswaxing and the spray should carry into the bits I cannot reach.

. . . this morning I took a look, and there was significant RUST where I'd sprayed  :bang:

There must be a load of water in the aerosol spray  :bugeye:

So, a good idea that went wrong but there must be a non-water-loaded wax spray - anyone know of one?

sparky961:
You can dissolve beeswax into many solvents. Laqueur thinner comes to mind, but some less volatile might work too.

chipenter:
Our machinist used paraffin and oil mixture 50 50 , for lube and rust preventive .

awemawson:
A bit of googling suggests dissolving beeswax in genuine turpentine, so I've ordered some from that amazing department store eBay  :clap:

edward:
would waxoyl or another car type wax work? I've an aerosol 'cavity wax' that I used on the car and also use on cycle parts. ACF50 might also work, I use that on the inside of steel bike frames and it seems to protect them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version