Author Topic: 3D Printed work holding widgets.  (Read 862 times)

Offline Joules

3D Printed work holding widgets.
« on: April 30, 2018, 09:36:32 AM »
These are some prints I did a couple of years ago for modifying some expensive plastic components that needed re-machining and couldn't be marked.

The first image is the soft jaws I printed to hold one of the parts, it needed a groove machining internally so the jaws pick up the contours and support the part during the operation.   The jaws take only a few hours to print are easily replaced.  Since the design work was done I can modify the jaw prints to any odd shapes needing LIGHT machining.

I had another part to modify but it was a different shape, again no visible marks allowed.  I could grip this one internally at the rear, but it had a long stick out and being plastic would just distort without support.

I needed to use a large bearing that could be held in the fixed steady, I didn't want to mark or distort the bearing and it needed to locate in the same place each time.  A 3D printed collar that was a good press fit with flats that picked up the steady fingers gave me a rigid and repeatable setup.

The final part of this setup was a two piece collet that fitted round the part and pushed into the bearing.  I didn't have space in the bearing to go over the external ridges and by having the collet back to a shoulder the part couldn't creep forward during machining.

The soft jaws and bearing support did about 50 parts each, the home made grooving tool also did a good job on all the parts.

It was an end of batch run and the client needed these parts altering to a new design I had done for them before they committed to brand new parts incorporating the new feature.  The parts are used in a clinical environment, hence the need to keep them as clean as possible during machining, the printed parts did just that.

Just get doing and make swarf, you can decide what its going to be later.   :thumbup:

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Re: 3D Printed work holding widgets.
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2018, 10:34:02 AM »
It just shows how versatile 3D printing can be if you have the imagination to apply it  :thumbup:

Excellent looking prints Jules.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2018, 11:16:26 AM »
Very cool. I like this...
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2018, 11:38:13 AM »
. . . . and that lime green colour . . . so fashionable  :lol:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Joules

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2018, 11:46:25 AM »
 :thumbup:  I have loads of the stuff, some reason the clinical types really like the colour, so most parts printed for them are in that.  I even got a deal bulk buying it as no-one else wanted the rolls  :scratch:
Just get doing and make swarf, you can decide what its going to be later.   :thumbup:

Offline Toolshed

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2018, 01:37:21 PM »
Nice color coding!!
No matter where you go....There you are....

Metalworker
Woodworker
Metal Caster

Google Map of members.  Send me your city/state/country and I will get you added in!
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1yzP6dM2C2yeti0msljLA5Ny_pwQ