Author Topic: Annoying sprung handles on machines  (Read 3354 times)

Offline Joules

Annoying sprung handles on machines
« on: May 19, 2018, 10:21:38 AM »
Ever noticed how annoying it can be using a mill with a sprung handle.  They are great for not getting hung up on when power feed in operation, but then what are you doing at that end of the machine ?

In my case the spring has too much force for comfortable operation manually.  So this calls for 3D printed solution, other materials, methods of construction and overriding safety features are available...

Measure up for the mill, in this case I needed an 8mm thick component to go round a 17mm shaft with a hole for a lanyard so it can be left hanging from the handle.  It was pretty quick to print, the jaws have a slight incline so they are easy to insert under the hand wheel washer, the shaft area is opened out to 18mm diameter for some clearance.  The spring easily keeps the wedge in place during operation and it's just as easy to remove.  Be careful your looped attachment doesn't lock up the hand wheel in one direction when turning, couple of wraps of the string are enough for me.

I have included a link to the STL file, if anyone is interested, just modify it to your requirements, it gives you an easy model to go from.

https://grabcad.com/library/milling-machine-sprung-handle-wedge-1

Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.

Offline velocette

Re: Annoying sprung handles on machines
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2018, 04:56:43 PM »
Hi
It works that is fine  :clap:
Here I go again Taking the "Devil's Advocate" view of things. Fit a lighter spring or take one step to your right when using manually and push in harder to mesh.   :scratch:  :hammer:
  "Be careful your looped attachment doesn't lock up the hand wheel in one direction when turning, couple of wraps of the string are enough for me".  A "Clove Hitch"will secure it safely and securely.
Many ways to skin a cat as long as you end up with a skinned cat. :-)

Eric

Offline Joules

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2018, 05:13:59 PM »
No problem Eric, thats a different take on what I did.  My preference is to operate the hand wheel with arm extended so I can keep a close eye on the work and cutter, that’s why I am unable to put enough pressure on.  Fumbling to engage the dog drive even with a lighter spring would also be frustrating, so the wedge was the best choice I could come up with.  Always interested to see or hear how others would tackle a similar issue.
Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.

Offline jb3cx

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 05:29:35 AM »
Hi Joules,
            Years ago I had a KRV 3000.the handles used to fold flat against the hand wheel .the guy I bought the machine off had them fitted as he got caught up a couple of times ,seemed to solve the problem for him,
Peter

Offline mattinker

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2018, 05:47:19 AM »
I did something similar on my mill for Z axis. Just don't forget to unlock! Imagine how I know!

Regards, Matthew

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2018, 09:38:32 PM »
Mine didn't have springs when I got it. First I've seen them. The handles are not retained by anything and occasionally fall off, an annoyance. Of course, I don't have a power feed, so unlikely to get caught by myself  :loco:
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg