The Shop > Tools

Heads up for LIDL inverter arc welders

(1/1)

Joules:
They also have a reasonable entry level auto darkening helmet so you can throw away the supplied hand held face mask.

I have had good results from the rods they sell, worth a punt if you fancy dipping your toe (not in the weld puddle) into welding.

LOL just noticed they say suitable for joining galvanised materials....   Errrrrr, think not if you value your health in an enclosed space.

CrazyModder:
Mmh, it seems 50,- € less than its usual price.

At least in the German LIDL offering, it's the TISA 160 from Holzmann ( http://www.holzmann-maschinen.at/EN/welder-inverter-DC-MMA-lift-TIG-w.-BMC-1396 ).

measurements
 total dimensions in mm
 290x130x240
welding
 gas hose length in m
 electrode holder in A
 welding current range in A
 10-160
 input power capacity in KVA
 input voltage
 1x230V 50Hz
 welding cable length in m
 earth clamp in A
 duty cycle in %
 no load voltage in V
 60-80
weight
 gross weight in kg
 net weight in kg

It is advertised for WIG and stick welding. Obviously, at a regular price of 300,- €, I can guess which opinion the pros have about that item, but can somone say if such a beast is useful for occasional amateur stuff; and if it is practical to learn welding (especially WIG) on it without shelling out the same amount of money again for improving the (presumably) not-so-high-end accessories like the cable packet etc.??

dvbydt:
That seems very good value for money!  I have not used one of them but assuming it is a DC output (I could not see it), IT should be fine. I  have a Parweld 180P inverter, which has a few more bells and whistles than the Lidl one and a little more power and I love it!
A 2.5 electrode might be difficult at 160 amps, it depends on the characteristics of the welder. You may struggle to get the arc started without scratch dragging it. Also it would probably be critical on arc length. A steep learning curve but attainable.

Do not forget you will have to buy a suitable torch, electrodes, gas lenses and gas cups for WIG (TIG in the UK). Not to mention the argon gas cylinder and regulator. There is no need for really high amps for small TIG work, technique and perseverance is more important.

Sorry if that puts you off, it is still a bargain!

IanR

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version