Gallery, Projects and General > Project Logs

Lathe build project

(1/8) > >>

NormanV:
I decided that I needed a small lathe to make small parts as my Loughborough lathe has a slow top speed. I was thinking of something around 50mm centre height. Then on my daily scan through Ebay I came across an Emco Compact 5 lathe, just the bed, headstock, spindle and leadscrew at a good price, I offered 2/3rds their price and they accepted.
I already had in my possession an unidentified piece of equipment, hardly any use, that had two slides that could be modified to suit.

NormanV:
I modified the two slides and made them to fit giving me 90mm feed on the cross slide and 70mm on the topslide. I haven't any photos yet as it is apart for another machining process.
The next was to cast an aluminium tailstock that mounts on a steel sub-base. Hole through the centre if roughly drilled, undersize, for machining in situ to achieve alignment.

NormanV:
To machine the tailstock bore I made a temporary tailstock and a between centres boring bar. This bar is a bit on the thin size but it had to be that size to fit through the bore.

NormanV:
The motor that I shall be using is a 180volt 1/2HP DC motor that I have with a speed controller. Thus doing away with the necessity of shifting belts to change speed. (I have already used one of these motors and controllers on my milling machine and I know that it will be good.)
I am using poly V belts for the drive as they run quietly without slipping.
I have fitted new bearings to the spindle and I used one of the old ones to make an idler pulley to tension the belt.

NormanV:
As I have not yet wired up the motor and wanted to get on with boring the tailstock I made a handle to fit the spindle bore expecting it to take a long time but it has not been too bad. I have just taken a rest after approx. 45 minutes work. I am on the final cut with just a spring cut to go.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version