Gallery, Projects and General > Project Logs

Little lathe tool grinder.

(1/7) > >>

dvbydt:

As promised here is my lathe tool grinder. A compound table was part of the deal when I ordered my lathe but I had never used it. The lathe was single phase, so I converted it to three phase using a VFD. The VFD was a bargain and I got a further discount for buying two. The hunt was then on for a small, 0.25Kw, totally enclosed, 2,700 rpm motor. Luckily a local supplier had one at a good price.

The motor support was made from a short piece of RHS (square tube 0.125 wall) with end plates welded in. The compound was held to this tube with 4 M8 screws. Not wishing to have the lead screw on the long axis, I made up a lever attachment, which makes the grinder  easier to use. To keep the dust off the cross slide I made up two bellows from acetate sheet. Not an easy thing to do, had to get some tips from Utube! However, they spray painted up OK.

I am happy with the end result. The VFD means I can run the motor at the correct speed for both the grinding wheel and the diamond cup wheel.

Ian

DICKEYBIRD:
A great use of available equipment; very nice!  Would it possible to do a video of it in use?  I'd like to make something similar for my Acorn retro'd ORAC.

dvbydt:
Sure, I'll try to get a short video on YouTube - anything in particular you would like to see?

Ian

DICKEYBIRD:
Setting up the angles on a lathe bit & the actual movements of your grinder would be great, thanks.:)

dvbydt:
OK will give it a go. May not happen instantly but will happen.

Ian

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version