Author Topic: The Sequel - Oh Blimey I bought a CNC Lathe (Beaver TC 20)  (Read 40965 times)

Offline seadog

• NE London
Re: The Sequel - Oh Blimey I bought a CNC Lathe (Beaver TC 20)
« Reply #800 on: March 14, 2019, 12:44:14 PM »
It would suggest that the socket hadn't been fully located before it was soldered. The pins are hardly likely to have grown, are they?  :lol:

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #801 on: March 14, 2019, 01:38:59 PM »
Well yes they could ! It's a semi flexible structure with a heavy cable attached. I can see it happening if an operation happened to hit resonance in the cable / plug / board assembly. The socket is firmly bolted down to the PCB on stand off spacers, and presumably was so when flow soldered, so I don't think that it's a case of it not having been fully inserted as the bolts hold it fully in.

Decades ago (late 1960's) I was involved making multi-element infra-red arrays for use in spy satellites. Everything went though full spectrum vibration testing and you'd be amazed what that can do to apparently rigid structures!

Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Online Will_D

• National Homebrew Club of Ireland
« Reply #802 on: March 15, 2019, 07:57:07 PM »
I remember that ICL (our UK mainframe computer maker in Manchester) tested the large (0.5 x 0.5M) multi layer circuit boards as fitted into the main frame racks. They simulated lorry transport at all the different frequency.  There were some amazing slo. mo./strobe videos of the boards flexing by about 3 times their thickness. These were iirc 13 layer boards and about 6 mm thick fibre glass boards.

And yes they actually recorded the telemetry from a truck driving on roads all over the UK o run on the shaker table.
Engineer and Chemist to the NHC.ie
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie/forum/