Author Topic: my way to billd a stuart 10 horizontal engine  (Read 12136 times)

Offline krv3000

my way to billd a stuart 10 horizontal engine
« on: May 19, 2018, 06:49:30 PM »
hi all I no I have projects on the go. but I cud not resist I got my self a Stuart 10 horizontal at Doncaster show  :)  I have  bin after one for sum time as I have the vatical 10 witch I was given I keep saying I will by a proper cylinder casting for it as the one that's on it I made out of steel  but never have any way as my way of getting a way from the (wedding of the year) I started on the engine will post pics tomorrow  not any mashing just cleaning up  the castings only two things not right that will be sent back 1 is the gun metal casting for the bearings for the crank and the other the cylinder all the ports are slanted you see wat I mean when I post the pics and by the time I mashen them they will be to big in one way and not big inuf in a norther way a part from that all seems well but at a Delmer don't no why but Stuart don't do drawings for this engine in MM  :bugeye: I think there not doing them selves any favours by doing this as this type of engine is deemed suterbel for  beginner's and as any one under the age of 50 say in the uk will be learnt metric system that bin sed it ant hard to convert the drawings to MM any way as im making the engine in MM shod I use MM nuts and bolts  or the BA bolts provided  :scratch:  any way as off to bed

Offline SwarfnStuff

Re: my way to billd a stuart 10 horizontal engine
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 01:00:09 AM »
KRV,
      Look forward to your build. I made a decision ages ago to only use Metric fasteners. Not that I have built any bought casting models but certainly modified a few imperial drawings to metric.
   I notice that you have BA bolts provided with the castings so perhaps use them as it would seem no tapping on your part is needed.
      At least in my tiny shop using metric I do not have to keep multiple supplies of fasteners, drills, taps and dies. Will not suit the purists but I build stuff for my enjoyment and sometimes frustration. Either way I learn stuff, even if it is not to do something that way again.
   God luck with your build.
John B
Converting good metal into swarf sometimes ending up with something useful. ;-)

Offline chipenter

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 01:30:30 AM »
I have not long finished a 10v and used 2.5 mm cap heads , as I didn't have a drawing .
Jeff

Offline krv3000

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 03:05:50 PM »
hi all john B on the one I have all the holes need taping   any way her is sum pics just in random the black pant you will see on sum parts is a rust preventing coting  any way the first pics is of the cylinder and Bering casting enjoy   

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2018, 09:31:26 PM »
I'm surprised they let those bad castings out of the shop. Otherwise this will be a nice project to watch you complete.  :coffee:
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline krv3000

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2018, 11:34:38 AM »
hi more pics got a email back of Stuart there going to send out  sum replacement parts   any way all the parts that I am not working on I have put in a tub so they don't get lost lol (wee will se if that works ) today yep I hold me hand up I cheated I took the box bed in to work to  grind it flat the risen for that the top part had bin child so even with a cobalt cuter in me mill it was hard to cut so rather than damage me mill I just did it at work I hope non of the remainder of the castings have not bin child  time will tell 

eskoilola

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2018, 12:37:10 PM »
I also have planned to buy one of the castings sets from Stuart. Those are not cheap but I also assume they will replace any unmachinable components. They have that kind of a reputation.

There is this British musician, Keith Appleton, who makes a lot of videos about steam engines and he has some which are aimed towards noobie machinists like me. Despite the marketing content his videos are actually very good. I also think that he has the correct understanding on what is important and what is not. In case You have not seen his videos those might give some hints and they are strangely entertaining. Especially the ones that contain painting ....

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2018, 04:37:46 PM »
Bob, I hit a hard spot in a cast iron pipe cap that I wanted to use for my pipe engine project. It really messed up my 5/8" drill, and I didn't have any carbide drills. So I tried annealing it and it worked. It cut really easily after that.

Maybe if you have problems again with hard castings you could try it.

See here:

https://madmodder.net/index.php/topic,10261.msg117028.html#msg117028
Steve

Offline krv3000

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2018, 08:29:02 PM »
lol well every thing is on hold me work bench is full of er tools I put a bid in for a wooden tool box witch is full of tooling did not think I wood win it till I got a txt saying I had won and it was just up the road lol as like a kid at xmas will post pics tomorrow
 :drool:

Offline krv3000

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2018, 06:36:52 PM »
hi all. all I will say is the box is gnaw in bits will put up sum pics the workshop is full of wood dust once I had a good  at the box was in a bad state so I took it all a part the top of the box was broken so im on sanding it all dawn to get it so I can put it back together

Offline krv3000

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2018, 04:45:56 PM »
hi true to Stuarts reputation they have sent me out replacement castings I sent them a email saying thank you and I will send the bad parts back to them I got a reply saying there is no need to  send them the bad parts just do wat I want with them  :)  well im going to   mill out the ports on the bad cylinder and fit in a blank and re mashen the ports so I will have a proper cylinder for my upright  No 10     

Offline krv3000

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2018, 05:52:26 PM »
hi all as fed up with working on the box so started to make the crank once over the crank was a casting gnaw they give you the bits to make one rather than do that I will be making the one for this engine out of a solid lump first job was to convert the droning in to mm I all redy had sum flat stock the right size so just cut it to length center drilled the two ends then off we go once the center was to size I glued in a m8 dowel redy for the next job right pics       

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2018, 07:55:07 PM »
That's an interesting way to do it, Bob.  :thumbup:

No need for jacks.

Steve

Offline krv3000

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2018, 05:40:14 PM »
I think I shod rename this bit as haw not to make a one pace crank a pack of chocolate hob nobs to the first one to spot the mistake right pics   

Offline seadog

• NE London
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2018, 05:55:38 PM »
Oh dear, you cut the wrong piece out. It's a non-crankshaft  :)

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2018, 09:33:43 PM »
Now that's my kind of mistake! :headbang:

Let's see you do that twice in a row, now.
Steve

Offline SwarfnStuff

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2018, 02:23:23 AM »
I too create this type of opportunity to make something again. Can we say, "The first was just a trial run"?? Yeah, well I've made quite a few trial runs in that case.
 :mmr:
John B
Converting good metal into swarf sometimes ending up with something useful. ;-)

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2018, 03:03:33 AM »
But how else does your scrap bin fill up with useful stuff to dig you out of the next hole  :clap:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline chipenter

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2018, 03:55:40 AM »
At least it won't vibrate .
Jeff

Offline krv3000

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2018, 05:16:04 PM »
lol I like all the comments will get started on a new one dun the right way I hope lol

Offline krv3000

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2018, 05:38:53 PM »
hi all did a bit more I made a new crank and fitted the top casting to the bottom box casting I had to make new studs as the ones supplied are to short so mad them out of stanles rod  I all so put sum chemical  metal on the underside of the box as the casting is thin no pics of that  right pics  the studs in the pics the long ones is the ones I made and the ones in the box casting

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2018, 06:26:58 PM »
Second crank looks good, Bob!  :thumbup:  :beer:
Steve

Offline mechman48

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2018, 05:36:58 AM »
Looking good Bob; I made one similar a while back a S50H,  works a treat when set up...

George.
George.

Always look on the bright side of life, & remember.. KISS..' Keep It Simple Stupid'

Offline krv3000

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2018, 04:50:03 PM »
hi brill im not inprest  with this kit sum of the 7BA nuts are taped off center studs to short im after sum 4.5mm AF stanles hex bar to make new ones   

Offline krv3000

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2018, 05:13:08 PM »
hi will put up sum pics at sum point I got sum stanles rod 2.5mm will remake the studs I have sum 4.5mm AF coming to make sum bolts I got sum SS nuts of peter so I don't have to make them also borrowed the taps and die's for the gland nuts and exhorts port I mad up a angel bracket to attach the top casting to I also got a 11mm ball nose cuter off john for the Bering mounting point have fun by for gnaw