The Craftmans Shop > New from Old

New Cylinder and Piston for TS350 Petrol Saw

(1/4) > >>

awemawson:
I've had this Stihl TS350 petrol saw for ages - it's done good work particularly when I was rebuilding my house and barn, but it has got increasingly hard to start, with low compression.

I was given an almost identical one that I thought I could use for parts, but it's compression also was pretty dire. Nowadays clone parts are coming out of China, and I was able to buy a pattern piston, rings, gudgeon pin, cylinder barrel, and gasket for the princely sum of £32.50 including postage !

They arrived by this mornings post, so I thought I'd get on changing it before the new big CNC lathe arrives and takes all my attention.

So firstly strip out the old:

awemawson:
So far going quite well, I even had the correct long series Torx keys

awemawson:
So first thing to go back - the barrel lower gasket - fine they supplied one  :thumbup:

Ah - well no - WRONG SIZE  :bang:

I suddenly had that sinking feeling - did I order the wrong barrel and piston? But no, they are the same as the original and the supplied gasket doesn't match the supplied barrel  :bugeye:

A phone call ensued, and OK the replacement is in the post, but meanwhile the bench is covered in dismantled petrol saw. I hate leaving things in bits - hopefully play can resume shortly.

awemawson:
I took the opportunity of the enforced hiatus to clean up the carburettor. Only externally, though it's passages got a liberal dose of carburettor cleaner.

I won't pull it apart unless I still get starting difficulties - this isn't supposed to be a full rebuild !

awemawson:
New gaskets set arrived this morning by post - not bad - only ordered yesterday at 16:30  :thumbup:

So just a bit of 're-mantling' - only clever bits being gaping the rings and sloshing two stroke oil on the slidy bits before putting it all together. To gap the rings they need to be set in the bore exactly perpendicular - I do this by placing them in the bore then squaring them up with the piston. Supposed to be pre-gapped and indeed they were both 0.35 mm which is in spec

The gudgeon pin circlips supplied looked as though a 5 year old had been twisting wire, so I re-used the originals

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version