Author Topic: Chester 626 DRO  (Read 2546 times)

Offline Markfd

Chester 626 DRO
« on: June 20, 2018, 10:58:42 AM »
I have just purchased a 3 axis DRO from one of the Chinese companies advertising on eBay, £201 delivered within a week, for my Chester 626. I have studied the various threads on this website & the dedicated 626 site & I see that most people fit the scale on the front of the mill. I have tried this & have problems with the limit switch for the power traverse & the table locks. It also gets in the way of the hand wheel when on maximum forward travel. It seems to me that putting the scale on the rear of the table does away with all these problems as nothing is in the way & the read head can be fastened to where the rubber sheet attaches to the apron. I realise that the travel is theoretically reduced by an inch, but I have gained an inch by trimming the apron casting & my vice overhangs the rear by 1.5” anyway.
Can anyone tell me of any disadvantages before I start drilling?

Offline Spurry

• Norfolk, UK
Re: Chester 626 DRO
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 11:13:59 AM »
One of the smaller problems you may find, is that drilling/tapping in the restricted space at the rear of the bed, can be a bit tricky. Not an insurmountable problem, just not quite as easy as front mounting.
The main advantage, as you have appreciated, is that limit switch and locks operate without modification.
Pete