Author Topic: Rails for cross cut sled binding  (Read 2731 times)

Offline CrazyModder

Rails for cross cut sled binding
« on: May 29, 2018, 01:26:20 PM »
I'm building a cross cut sled for my table saw, a Bosch GTS 10 XC. It has pretty funky rails; the one is just your usual T-slot; the other is more like a double-T-slot.

That said, I'm pretty happy with everything except I'm not getting the rail guides to run smoothly. Even if they run fine in the one direction, they bind in the other. And I'm talking of each individual guide, not even fixed to the sled yet. If I then take just a hair off, they're too small.

Is there a trick or method to get this to work?

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Re: Rails for cross cut sled binding
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 01:56:30 PM »
I'll sell you a bottle of my patent "Beeswax in Turpentine" - solves all sticking problems in woodworking machines :clap:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline CrazyModder

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 03:44:35 PM »
Funnily enough, amazon.de lists some ready-made Beeswax+Terpentine mixture (with the search terms in German), all of which is sent from the UK. Seems to be a British invention to sell this stuff in these times. ;) I'll see what I can get. Or might get creative with that beeswax I already have for my hiking boots, the recipe seems to be pretty simple...

Thanks a lot!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 04:20:07 PM by CrazyModder »

Offline CrazyModder

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2018, 10:27:18 AM »
I'll sell you a bottle of my patent "Beeswax in Turpentine" - solves all sticking problems in woodworking machines :clap:

Alright, I hereby award you the HotWaxAward2018. I lubed it up with some beeswax paste (which I normally use for leather hiking shoes, not sure what else is in it) and the sled is sliding like crazy. I'll keep your official Beeswax-in-Turpentine patent in mind in case this particular shoe wax gets bad later, but for now - problem solved!

:clap:

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2018, 10:48:17 AM »
Glad to help - it's good stuff and the Turps smells superb  :lol:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex