Author Topic: Bogstandards 'Paddleducks' Piston Valve Engine Plans  (Read 14085 times)

bogstandard

Bogstandards 'Paddleducks' Piston Valve Engine Plans
« on: May 27, 2009, 04:42:12 AM »
Due to the rising costs of hosting and download limits, my plans are no longer hosted anywhere.

I have already asked Eric to host them on here, and he has kindly agreed, but because it is a free forum site, I expect that troubles would arise later with download issues.

So to save all the hassle, I have uploaded them to my own hosting account.

If you want a copy, maybe not for making the engine, but just for general reading, as I have been told it is full of little tips and tricks, it can be downloaded from here

http://rapidshare.com/files/237708589/Piston_valve_engine_book.rar

Or a self extracting version for those who have trouble extracting zipped files.

http://rapidshare.com/files/237810349/Self_Extracting_Piston_valve_engine_book.exe

It is 22MB in size, so not too large.

If you don't have a Rapidshare account, don't worry, as you can download as a free user, but you might have to wait for a minute or so to allow you access to the download.

It also helps me, as if you download as a free user, I can get extra points. In about 5 years, I should have enough points to swap for a t-shirt, or even an optical mouse.

Bogstandard
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 10:36:54 AM by bogstandard »

Offline HS93

• In Memoriam
Re: Bogstandards 'Paddleducks' Piston Valve Engine Plans
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 06:44:54 AM »
Have they taken it of the duck?   what do you use to open the rar file my winzip does not want to play ?

:ddb: Peter  :ddb:
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 06:48:16 AM by HS93 »
I am usless at metalwork, Oh and cannot spell either . failure

bogstandard

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 07:07:22 AM »
Peter,

They haven't taken it off Ducks yet, but they are starting to get very tight with download allowances and even charging sometimes for it.

So as far as I am concerned, PD's is now history, no matter what excuses they come up with. If they had asked outright for donations, then fair enough, but taxing us like the government does, thru the back door, really sticks in my throat.

I use Winrar for opening all zipped files. Check your emails in a while.

John

Offline NorthOf40

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 07:22:45 PM »
Thank you! :thumbup:
Jim
Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it. – Mark Twain

Offline TFL45

• Model Steam Engine Construction - Novice
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 08:37:26 PM »
Hi John,

See there's more than one way to skin a cat. Good stuff - hadn't thought of that approach.

Will be away for a while but when I get back will finish the refurb and put the consolidated file up on Windows SkyDrive for you. SkyDrive's free to use (25GB storage and 50MB file limit) but Microsoft doesn't give away any T-shirts for it's use! Can't have everything!

Floyd
TFL45

There's no need to be precise if you don't know what you're talking about!

Offline rleete

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 10:09:32 AM »
Bogstandard,

Thanks for posting that.  When it was mentioned a while back, I considered looking for it, but decided I wasn't going to be building it any time soon, so deferred.

I'm glad I DL it.  Lots of interesting stuff, even if I'm not building that particular one.  You have a very easy-to-read writing style.  Were you a teacher at one time?
Creating scrap, one part at a time

bogstandard

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2009, 05:54:38 AM »
I have found another bit that goes with these plans.

Someone did a CAD drawing of them.

I have no idea what they are like as I don't do Cad, but I have included a freebie reader with the DFX files.

This is a self extracting archive, so just run it and it will extract into the same directory. I normally use my desktop.

http://rapidshare.com/files/238836870/Piston_Valve_DFX_files.exe

Bogs

Offline SPiN Racing

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2009, 06:18:44 AM »
Thanks John!

Saved them both to my PC for a little later, once things settle down with the family, and I have a wobbler under my belt.
SPiN Racing

Offline kvom

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2009, 10:51:08 AM »
For anyone building this engine, it's a good idea to read through the entire set of files before starting to make parts.  In many cases there is a discussion of the techniques that can help the inexperienced after John's build of a given part.

Offline madjackghengis

• big engine
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2010, 12:16:21 PM »
I have found another bit that goes with these plans.

Someone did a CAD drawing of them.

I have no idea what they are like as I don't do Cad, but I have included a freebie reader with the DFX files.

This is a self extracting archive, so just run it and it will extract into the same directory. I normally use my desktop.

http://rapidshare.com/files/238836870/Piston_Valve_DFX_files.exe

Bogs
Bogs, having read through the B.S. regarding the stealing of your work, without even the courtesy of using your name, I just wanted to say there are many more like myself who would be very disappointed if you disappeared from this forum, as someone quite new to it, the feel of having a group who are like minded, and correspond regarding everything from similar perspectives even though we span the globe, makes this of extraordinary value to me, personally, and I believe to many others as well.  I wish you well, and hope to continue to see your postings and will look for them if they are not to be found here.  I have given up on magazines for the lack of personality and personal connection, and hoped this forum and others like it would replace what I had to give up.  In any regard, you and your contributions are very highly regarded, and welcome anywhere, anytime.  mad jack, and I've got your back!

Offline mcr

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2010, 04:23:24 PM »
I can only add to the last comment mad as hell over the rip off of your work I am so pleased to resd the contributions you make on the forums.
Over two years ago I came across your plans which I printed off reading every page again and again.
I did not build the engine (yet ) but I did gain the confidence to give the hobby a real go the result is that after about 14 months I had constructed the Borderer engine.
It all started with your down to earth approach to the hobby many thanks.
Mark

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2011, 02:20:19 PM »
I know this is a bit of a dusty thread, but I do have a good reason to resurrect it.

I am in the process of making a website about my engineering projects and interests and am part-way through posting up a copy of my Paddleducks build log that is documented elsewhere on HMEM and Madmodder.

Anyway, the reason for dragging up this older thread is to mention that John has given me permission to host a copy of his plans on my site, so for anyone looking to download the plans Click here for the plans of Bogstandard's Paddleducks Marine Twin Engine.

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME

Offline Bogstandard

• Bogs Group
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2011, 02:52:52 PM »
Many thanks Tim.

My web hosting has been all over the place over the last year or so, so it is nice to have somewhere stable to have the plans available.

John
If you don't try it, you will never know if you can do it.

Location - Crewe, Cheshire

Skype - bandit175

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2011, 03:07:40 PM »
No problems John, glad to be of some use, and hopefully there will be many more Paddleducks born :D

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME