Author Topic: R8 collet chuck spanner 35mm  (Read 2763 times)

Offline picclock

R8 collet chuck spanner 35mm
« on: June 05, 2018, 03:54:30 PM »
Hi
My new mill has just arrived but I have a small problem. When undoing/tightening the R8 collet chuck there is no way to stop the spindle from turning. The chuck itself has two flats spaced at 35mm, which afaik, is a non standard size. I can make a spanner, or use an adjustable.

Has anyone else come across this and what solution did you use?

Best Regards

picclock
Engaged in the art of turning large pieces of useful material into ever smaller pieces of (s)crap. (Ferndown, Dorset)

Offline Pete.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Re: R8 collet chuck spanner 35mm
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2018, 05:08:54 PM »
. . . or when I've fixed my compressor I'll cut you one from plate on the CNC Plasma Table
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline picclock

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2018, 01:28:20 AM »
@Pete

That's the perfect solution. I am so used to all things metric I never checked  :palm:.

My other mill has a spindle with flats and spanner was provided when bought. On the new mill I have just replaced the spindle to use R8 tooling. I did consider machining it with flats as per the older mill.

@awemawson
Thanks for the offer. Hope your compressor gets sorted soon.
I have made spanners in the past from plate but have found that they are too soft for continued use. Even thought of trying hardening with casenite but never got roundtuit.

Does seem a bit odd that with all these ER32 collet chucks about there isn't a standard spanner to fit the chuck body. Worst of all I measured the flats on my other machines chuck and it was just over 36mm  :scratch:, very random.

Best Regards

picclock
Engaged in the art of turning large pieces of useful material into ever smaller pieces of (s)crap. (Ferndown, Dorset)

Offline picclock

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2018, 06:16:21 AM »
Just picked up a 35mm (1-3/8") spanner at the car boot for £1, and its Chrome Vanadium, Elora (German). Also managed to score a set of 9 ER25 collets, 1 - 12mm. As I use ER32 not sure what I'm going to do with them - offers anyone ?

Otherwise I will probably make an er25 chuck for the lathe - another get round to it project.

Best Regards

picclock