Author Topic: DIY Particle Decelerator to deal with dark matter  (Read 3149 times)

Offline Joules

DIY Particle Decelerator to deal with dark matter
« on: June 12, 2018, 05:45:06 AM »
Or put another way, how to deal with oily crap, plastic swarf and grinding dust.   This has been a while getting built, like everything else recently.  I needed to get this finished for my tool and cutter grinder, however a more pressing need arose when I got a job making some Delrin couplers that needed a large billet reducing to a size that generated a mountain of swarf per item.

Yes, it's a cyclone separator with a combination of machined, Delrin parts and 3D printed coupler.  I, hmmm "BORROWED" the bosses Dyson hose for research purposes, honest !!!  The coupler for the Henry is a straight forward adapter in the top of the cyclone.  The coupler for the intake hose is 3D printed and incorporates a bit of aerospace magic.  Taking inspiration from the modern jet exhaust cowl, you know the one with scalloped edges, I incorporated this into the design of the 3D printed part.  It is supposed to stop the vortex forming at the step between the fitting and cyclone inlet.  Normally you get an amount of dust build up in the edge of the adapter, this seems to have reduced that and should also allow a better air flow into the cyclone as everything starts to decelerate once the pipe widens. It all works very well, except for the occasional barrel collapse, the polypropylene barrel needs some internal support to stop it collapsing to a singularity.   Ahhhh, such is particle physics...
Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.

Offline Pete.

Re: DIY Particle Decelerator to deal with dark matter
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 01:49:26 PM »
Hey I've got one of those, also awaiting fitment to a suitable receptacle. Do you like the way it works?

Offline Joules

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 01:58:10 PM »
Yep, its pretty good, virtually nothing in the vac bag.  The only time it plays up is with stringy plastic swarf which can circulate round the middle of the cyclone till you cover the hose end and it then drops the swarf into the barrel.  Dirt and dust goes straight into the barrel.  Not tested yet with grinding grit as I need to design and print my covers.

You do need a stout container for the cyclone as the vacuum is very powerful even on the Henry’s low power setting.
Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.

Offline WeldingRod

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 06:11:41 PM »
I built three cyclone separators off of the HSM plans years ago, but done in fiberglass.  Once I had the male mould, it was just too easy to run out more...
I've been using it of shop swarf.  there's only a few things that give it heartburn: napkins and long stringy stuff.  I added a knockout drum a couple years ago that really notched it up.  My key mistake was grafting the vacuum cleaner directly to the vortex finder; you really want a filter in there.  :doh: