The Shop > Tools

Edgwick lathe

(1/4) > >>

faz:
hi their

just joined this site looks like we have a good bunch of knowledge on here let me introduce myself
im faz iv been doing a bit of machining for the last couple of years with my myford super 7 and my clark cl500m i have gained good experience on these little machines now i think its time to upgrade to something bigger i have found a small machine shop thats closing and is selling their edgwick series 1 lathe i know these lathes are very well built but pricing wise i cant seem to find much information on these as their are non up for sale at the moment i have been offered one for £1500 with some tooling but i am not sure if thats a good deal or not  :Doh:and would much appreciate if some of you could shine some light  if it's worth it or not as i have seen some old adds where they have sold for between £600 and £800?

sorry if i uave bored you i look forward to your comments hopefully you guyes will goide me in the right direction

thanks

faz

mattinker:
My very worn Edgewick cost me £150, the seller was having trouble selling it!

Regards, Matthew

timby:
 For "between £600 and £800"    I would expect to see a 3 Jaw and 4 Jaw  Chuck and a Faceplate,  start  negotiations at £400.

But if  it is near home  transport costs will obviously  be less and that needs to be taken into account too.

AdeV:
I paid a bit more than Matthew for my Edgwick Mk1 - about £350 IIRC. It's in reasonable nick, and whilst it does have some wear, it's good to within a thou or two if I'm really careful. Mine came with very little tooling, just a couple of chucks, and some worn out odds & sods in the swarf tray.

TBH, unless it's in fantastic order, £1500 is way too much. £500 would be nearer the mark if it's in good condition with tooling; less if there's no tooling/no faceplate/no steady/only one chuck, etc.

The Edgwick uses a unique (I think) chuck mounting system which means finding ready-to-go chucks will be a challenge. You'll almost certainly need to machine up your own backplate if you do want to put a new chuck on it. The spindle bore is a #16 Jarno (I think, somewhere around there anyway) taper, which is also unusual, and rules out buying MT spindle accessories unless you can find or make a sleeve.

The gearbox is very useful, it'll cut metric & imperial threads without needing change gears, even multi-start threads. It'll probably have an imperial leadscrew, so imperial threads can be cut using the screwcutting dial. Metric threads... you'll need to use the spindle brake & reverse without disengaging the half-nuts (although there is a bit of a workaround for that, which I think has been documented here). If you've got a metric leadscrew, then vice versa.

If you do buy it, we'll have to speak to Eric about setting up an "Edgwick Mk1 Owner's Club", I think there's a few of us now...

mattinker:

--- Quote from: AdeV on June 13, 2018, 03:12:18 PM ---

The Edgwick uses a unique (I think) chuck mounting system which means finding ready-to-go chucks will be a challenge. You'll almost certainly need to machine up your own backplate if you do want to put a new chuck on it. The spindle bore is a #16 Jarno (I think, somewhere around there anyway) taper, which is also unusual, and rules out buying MT spindle accessories unless you can find or make a sleeve.

Chucks are easy to mount, a 15mm, 9/16 steel plate is all you need to make an adapter. The spindle taper an Edgwick proprietry taper, a morse taper 6 can be modified to fit.

If you do buy it, we'll have to speak to Eric about setting up an "Edgwick Mk1 Owner's Club", I think there's a few of us now...

I like the Edgewick owners section!

--- End quote ---

Regards, Matthew

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version