Author Topic: Edgwick lathe  (Read 5392 times)

Offline faz

Edgwick lathe
« on: June 12, 2018, 07:09:13 PM »
hi their

just joined this site looks like we have a good bunch of knowledge on here let me introduce myself
im faz iv been doing a bit of machining for the last couple of years with my myford super 7 and my clark cl500m i have gained good experience on these little machines now i think its time to upgrade to something bigger i have found a small machine shop thats closing and is selling their edgwick series 1 lathe i know these lathes are very well built but pricing wise i cant seem to find much information on these as their are non up for sale at the moment i have been offered one for £1500 with some tooling but i am not sure if thats a good deal or not  :Doh:and would much appreciate if some of you could shine some light  if it's worth it or not as i have seen some old adds where they have sold for between £600 and £800?

sorry if i uave bored you i look forward to your comments hopefully you guyes will goide me in the right direction

thanks

faz
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 01:40:39 AM by awemawson »

Offline mattinker

Re: adgwick lathe
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 08:38:49 PM »
My very worn Edgewick cost me £150, the seller was having trouble selling it!

Regards, Matthew

Offline timby

Re: Edgwick lathe
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 02:57:02 AM »
 For "between £600 and £800"    I would expect to see a 3 Jaw and 4 Jaw  Chuck and a Faceplate,  start  negotiations at £400.

But if  it is near home  transport costs will obviously  be less and that needs to be taken into account too.

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 03:12:18 PM »
I paid a bit more than Matthew for my Edgwick Mk1 - about £350 IIRC. It's in reasonable nick, and whilst it does have some wear, it's good to within a thou or two if I'm really careful. Mine came with very little tooling, just a couple of chucks, and some worn out odds & sods in the swarf tray.

TBH, unless it's in fantastic order, £1500 is way too much. £500 would be nearer the mark if it's in good condition with tooling; less if there's no tooling/no faceplate/no steady/only one chuck, etc.

The Edgwick uses a unique (I think) chuck mounting system which means finding ready-to-go chucks will be a challenge. You'll almost certainly need to machine up your own backplate if you do want to put a new chuck on it. The spindle bore is a #16 Jarno (I think, somewhere around there anyway) taper, which is also unusual, and rules out buying MT spindle accessories unless you can find or make a sleeve.

The gearbox is very useful, it'll cut metric & imperial threads without needing change gears, even multi-start threads. It'll probably have an imperial leadscrew, so imperial threads can be cut using the screwcutting dial. Metric threads... you'll need to use the spindle brake & reverse without disengaging the half-nuts (although there is a bit of a workaround for that, which I think has been documented here). If you've got a metric leadscrew, then vice versa.

If you do buy it, we'll have to speak to Eric about setting up an "Edgwick Mk1 Owner's Club", I think there's a few of us now...
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline mattinker

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 04:50:35 PM »

The Edgwick uses a unique (I think) chuck mounting system which means finding ready-to-go chucks will be a challenge. You'll almost certainly need to machine up your own backplate if you do want to put a new chuck on it. The spindle bore is a #16 Jarno (I think, somewhere around there anyway) taper, which is also unusual, and rules out buying MT spindle accessories unless you can find or make a sleeve.

Chucks are easy to mount, a 15mm, 9/16 steel plate is all you need to make an adapter. The spindle taper an Edgwick proprietry taper, a morse taper 6 can be modified to fit.

If you do buy it, we'll have to speak to Eric about setting up an "Edgwick Mk1 Owner's Club", I think there's a few of us now...

I like the Edgewick owners section!

Regards, Matthew

Offline Pete.

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 05:21:00 PM »
No way on earth would I be spending £1.5k on an old Edgwick, especially from a closing down company. It might be a minter but it's probably well down the road towards being a wreck.

I don't know where you are Faz but this 13" South Bend was on sale in Peterborough recently for half that and it's in superb condition, still has the scraping on the ways.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/-/183211682066?nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l10137

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2018, 05:26:46 PM »
Hi Matt,

Chucks are easy to mount, a 15mm, 9/16 steel plate is all you need to make an adapter. The spindle taper an Edgwick proprietry taper, a morse taper 6 can be modified to fit.

True enough, it'd be easy enough to make a back plate. Bear in mind, though, that unless you want to try to fit 3 bolts through the back of the spindle nose, whilst holding a chuck in the right place, then getting it to seat properly on the register.... you need to put 3 backward facing short-ish bolts through from the "wrong" side of the backplate, trapped in such a way as they can't rotate when you crank up the 3 holding nuts...

As for the spindle taper - proprietary it may be, but it's exactly 0.050" per inch, or 0.600" per foot, which is exactly the same as a Jarno taper... Trust me, I've had a bore gauge up her snout... I made (bodged, really) an ER32 collet chuck - out of aluminium, which is hardly the ideal material - and as soon as I got the taper right, it went in there snug as a bug in a rug. In fact, it took a pretty hefty thwack with the LART* to shift it...

*LART = luser ("loser") Attitude Readjustment Tool. AKA a hammer. luser is an old Unix joke.

Cheers!
Ade.
--

Offline mattinker

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2018, 05:38:59 PM »
Hi Matt,

True enough, it'd be easy enough to make a back plate. Bear in mind, though, that unless you want to try to fit 3 bolts through the back of the spindle nose, whilst holding a chuck in the right place, then getting it to seat properly on the register.... you need to put 3 backward facing short-ish bolts through from the "wrong" side of the backplate, trapped in such a way as they can't rotate when you crank up the 3 holding nuts...

I used lengths of stud, threaded int the back plate, with a tack of weld to stop them coming unscrewed! As for holding up the chuck, I use a wooden "horse" (one for each chuck) so that it is supported, no weight! It also protects the ways from chuck fall! You could use counter sunk bolts coming through from the front! Make the threaded part short enough to be able to get the nuts on when the chuck is fully home!

As for the spindle taper - proprietary it may be, but it's exactly 0.050" per inch, or 0.600" per foot, which is exactly the same as a Jarno taper... Trust me, I've had a bore gauge up her snout... I made (bodged, really) an ER32 collet chuck - out of aluminium, which is hardly the ideal material - and as soon as I got the taper right, it went in there snug as a bug in a rug. In fact, it took a pretty hefty thwack with the LART* to shift it...

*LART = luser ("loser") Attitude Readjustment Tool. AKA a hammer. luser is an old Unix joke.

Cheers, Matthew

Offline faz

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2018, 07:08:40 PM »
thankyou very much lads uv pit my mind to rest iv decided not to go with it unless he dropes it half the asking price which i doubt i might consider a colcherster or harrison something that will hold a bit of value.
i will keep you guys posted on what i end up with and once again a big thankyou for all your input and guidance 👍

Offline faz

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2018, 07:12:54 PM »
No way on earth would I be spending £1.5k on an old Edgwick, especially from a closing down company. It might be a minter but it's probably well down the road towards being a wreck.

I don't know where you are Faz but this 13" South Bend was on sale in Peterborough recently for half that and it's in superb condition, still has the scraping on the ways.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/-/183211682066?nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l10137

yes pete seen that one it was a good 1 unfortunately listing has ended so cant find it 👍

Offline vintageandclassicrepairs

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2018, 06:55:52 PM »
Hi Faz,
There is a Smart and Brown lathe advertised today on, https://www.homeworkshop.org.uk/
£650 including a load of extras

John

Offline seadog

• NE London

Offline faz

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2018, 10:53:54 AM »
Hi Faz,
There is a Smart and Brown lathe advertised today on, https://www.homeworkshop.org.uk/
£650 including a load of extras

John

thanks for the link john looks like a good find let il i will ring up on monday and find out more on swing and length between centres and on the quick change gearbox will keep you posted 👍

Offline Pete.

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2018, 12:24:11 PM »

yes pete seen that one it was a good 1 unfortunately listing has ended so cant find it 👍

I just sent him a message and he still has it, will be re-listing it on Sunday 99p start no reserve.

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2018, 05:03:25 PM »
I just sent him a message and he still has it, will be re-listing it on Sunday 99p start no reserve.

* Makes mental note.

* Remembers I've got nowhere to put it.

* Reluctantly rubs out mental note...
Cheers!
Ade.
--

Offline Biggles

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2018, 12:54:30 PM »
Hi and welcome Faz, larger machines tend to be cheaper than Myfords at the low end. i expect Edgwick/Harrisons etc now days to be around the 1k mark if they are reasonable and with some chucks/tools etc. unless they from a dealer who will probably apply VAT. Having said that there is one dealer online forget his name, who doesn't have VAT.

George