Author Topic: Window / glass camera mount  (Read 2592 times)

Offline David Morrow

Window / glass camera mount
« on: June 17, 2018, 12:37:21 PM »
A friend of mine lives in a high rise apartment and nearby, there is another tall building undergoing a slow motion demolition - about 2 years. He bought a camera that could be set for time lapse photos and mounted it to his window with a suction cup mount - same suction cup as many dash cam's. The problem was that the suction was only good for a few days, maybe a few weeks. Putting the camera back in the exact same spot and angle was almost impossible when the suction was lost. I suggested that we make a mount using rare earth magnets - half the magnets attached to the mount, and the other half on the other side of the glass. The window was single pane and that made the distance between the magnets much smaller. We made the mount to use 8 magnets on each side but found that 4 was the safe minimum and 6 magnets stuck like the proverbial to the blanket. He ended up using all 8 because he already bought them. To say that this mount was solid when mounted on the window is an understatement. The camera was attached to the window mount with a Ram arm and Ram ball.

This is the mount being tested on one of my kitchen cabinet doors.