The Craftmans Shop > New from Old

Dore Westbury Mk1 Mill Restoration, finishing and one or two mods.

(1/5) > >>

Canobi:
Hi folks :)

Taking my first steps into machine refurbishment as I have a Dore Westbury Mk1 milling machine in desperate need of some TLC.

For those that don't know, the Dore Westbury mill is a unique machine as it was sold in kit form and was designed such that it could be completed using a myford size lathe at home. This makes it a perfect candidate for first time referbishers as it's construction is very straightforward and simple enough for a newbie engineer/machinist such as myself to tinker with and fix.

Detailed info about the Dore Westbury can be found on lathes.co.uk here:

http://www.lathes.co.uk/dore-westbury/

I will be deviating from the original build plans a little, as a result, I'll also be making a few tools along the way in order to perform the operations that don't appear in the build notes or technical drawings, so this could be quite the adventure.

I'm about halfway now and will keep updating this post as and when new material has been uploaded to my channel.

Pt1

Pt2

Update #1

Update #2

Pt3

Update #3

Pt4

Update #4

Pt5

Update #5

Pt6

vtsteam:
Much as I like videos, I always think Youtube videos should be an adjunct to a project thread on a forum, rather than the substance. Otherwise  forums will eventually just consist of links to people's personal Youtube channels.

In case anyone cares, I have unnecessary scripts turned off in my browser. So your YouTube embeddings appear as blank black spaces to me. I don't see what you're posting and generally won't follow the links or comment if it's only videos.

So....any chance of a build thread? Sounds like a great subject.....that would be awesome!  :coffee:  :beer:

awemawson:
And I thought it was just me being a grumpy old fart!

I cringe when videos start with totally irrelevant 'effects' and more often than not stop watching at that point ! It's akin to every technical program on TV these days being 'a show' and appealing to the lowest denominator rather than being factual and informative as they should be.

<rant mode off>

Shame as the subject matter could be very interesting to many. There must be loads of Dore Westbury's 'out there' - I well remember drooling over the adverts for the part machined castings in Model Engineer when there was absolutely no chance of being able to afford to buy them

Canobi:
Well, it's mostly been stripping, cleaning and painting so far (going with a black and brass colour scheme), though the last two videos show a new, simple and rather unique way to do brass plating at home with just a blow torch, drill and a brass wheel brush.

You are of course correct though and I will endeavour to post write ups and their accompanying pics as well as vids here from now on. Actually, small but significant progress suits written and pictured posting anyway so I hear ya and oblige ;)

Thursday and Friday afternoon were spent making a replacement spindle drive plug blank:

The original plans call for a brass piece which is drilled and filed to include the keys that fit the slots either side of the spindle shaft. While the original design and method of the part's construction lends itself very well to even the most meagre of equipped home shops, I'm going to deviate and use actual key stock.

This part is actually quite involved and I'll need to finish making my keyway slotting attachment (made a start on the base and cut the radiused slot for the ram tube) and make transfer pins and screws to ensure the new holes line up with the pulley's geared drive tube in order to finish it.

My bearing grease arrived yesterday, so last night I installed the outer races of the new spindle bearings in preparation for full essembly (new ones are Timpkin tapered rollers, the last ones were single row deep groove and were well and truely trashed). However, I discovered that the replacements were undersize, so had to shim them for a press fit. I opted to put short lengths in three places per side as a wrap aroumd was proving somewhat troublesome for me:

Today's small progress was making some .1/8" thick brass washers for the main column support casting bolts. In order to keep in with the colour scheme:

My next move is to heat black the bolt heads for the column support casting with boiled linseed oil, which will be featured in the next video, along with some footage of the above parts being made.

awemawson:
That looks to be a major discrepancy in the bearing size. It's rather important that the quill bearings are very rigidly supported.

There are commercially available press fit sleeves to fix this situation but my google foo is letting me down finding a link. They are basically a tightly corrugated sleeve that distorts evenly as the undersized bearing is pressed into it

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version