Author Topic: CD-stud welding UT-type pins  (Read 5865 times)

Offline PekkaNF

CD-stud welding UT-type pins
« on: October 02, 2015, 02:01:23 PM »
Local bolt shop was clearing out some stuff and I offered to buy one table empty of welding nuts and bolts.

I got a bit more than I bargained for, there was some pretty unusual fasteners, guite a few stainless/copper grounding pins and spades.

But there were 4000 plain pins, made out of stainless A2 (CD-stud welding UT-type pins) 5 mm OD l=8 mm.

What these pins are used for? Can anybody think any alternative use?

Other weird thing is whole lot of ALMG (aluminium) M2,5 M3 and M4 threaded studs and nuts, some are press type. Hard to think other uses than aviation or boats?

There was whole lot more stuff than I was prepared, lucily I pooled with some friends. They basically want weld nuts. But there are probably more that 10K press nuts and studs. Even some odd imperial sizes.

Phew....

Pekka

Offline jcs0001

Re: CD-stud welding UT-type pins
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2015, 05:25:14 PM »
Pekka:

Can't help with the stainless pins but it's like Christmas getting a whole bundle of hardware like that.  Bought a whole bunch of nuts, bolts, washers etc. from an elderly friend and it was kind of fun going through to see what I got.

John.

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2015, 03:44:35 PM »
172 bags/boxes and nearly 90k pieces! And I haven't got trough plastic boxes and grounding studs/spades yet.

Minority of the stuff is normal Zn/passivated steel, most of it stainless (or A2) and some AL and some ALMG3.

What is HUCK? Looks like a rivet that is designed to break in the middle.

Imperial ones I'll offload fast, I even don't know what those are for.

Some metric ones I have like 4000/9000 or pcs each size. It's grazy. I'll keep some stainless steel press nut inserts for enclosures, and some AL or ALMG3 inserts for thermoplastics.

There are some press pins I could use, no way I can find use for all. Those CD-straight studs go be baffled, no matter how hard I think I can't find any immediate use.

I'm asking some fried to barter most of it to something else. I don't need most of it.

Offline chipenter

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2015, 05:28:53 PM »
Huck have a topered coller that squashes on to the pin , as the grooves are parallel it won't vibrate off , used to fit them on lories and vans .
Jeff

Offline bp

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2015, 08:19:54 PM »
Huck bolts are for making high strength permanent joints, when rivets aren't up to it.  The CD studs were used (for instance) for "firing" onto ships structures to hang cable runs off of.  When done with the right gear the welded joint is stronger than the stud material.  Some cable runs were OVER 48" by 24" in cross section and were very heavy.
Interesting find!!
cheers
Bill

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 08:31:31 AM »
Thanks.

HUCK is clear now:
http://www.afsrhuck.net/us/en/Products/Fasteners/HuckBolts/C6L.html

The huck bolt was a good search word. Now I know that I'm missing the collets, those are probably useless = recycle.

Month ago some friends were complaining the lack of weld/press nuts/bolts and now when I have couple thousands of extrass, they are not interested. I don't get the people. I must be hanging around wrong type of people :lol:

Pekka

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2018, 03:54:19 PM »
Self-Clinching Studs Series CH, CHS & CHA - Captive fastener..

Have some M2, M3 (M3,5 or something imperial) M4 and M5 CHS thread studs judging from least one bag of CHS-1032-type...must have imperial #10-32 thread.

This document actually clears out most of the fun stuff:
http://www.captive-fastener.com/Catalog/CH_CHS_CHA.pdf

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2018, 04:21:51 PM »
C and CS Self-Clinching nut (eg. 01465)...

http://www.captive-fastener.com/Catalog/C_CS.pdf

Seems like these would be easy to insert with a press.

Some nuts that look like for PC or plastic board and then some that seem to be this type (POPNut Threaded Insert Types):
http://www.emhart.eu/eu-en/products-services/products-by-category/popnut-threaded-inserts/popnuts/index.php

They seem to have hydropneumatic tool for setting. Need to try to press them (or pull if pop-rivet type..).

Most of these are M3-M5....unfortunately for my next project I need M6 or M8 :doh:

Offline PK

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2018, 05:34:21 PM »
Apologies if I've posted this one before, we have a CD stud welder we hacked up to run on the router. It's great fun to watch!
I can attest that the welds are stronger than the base metal.