Author Topic: Traction Talk Forum ??  (Read 3520 times)

Offline picclock

Traction Talk Forum ??
« on: July 11, 2018, 09:26:34 AM »
Hi
I've started looking into the possibility of building a small steam traction engine like the Minnie or a 1 1/2" Alchin or similar.

Looking on the internet I have found quite a few pointers to the Traction Talk forum. I duly signed up but have done so have found I cannot access any content. Ironically it says I should be able to after I make a donation, but when I go to the donation page it says I do not have sufficient priveledges     :doh:  .. .

The wonders of modern technology. Reminds me of planning permission for the hyperspace bypass in Hitch Hikers guide to the galaxy .. .

If anyone is a member prhaps they could throw some light on this.

Best Regards

picclock
Engaged in the art of turning large pieces of useful material into ever smaller pieces of (s)crap. (Ferndown, Dorset)

Offline Joules

Re: Traction Talk Forum ??
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 09:34:48 AM »
Hmmmm, bloody Vogon web designers.  Just wait till you get to the poetry section !!!
Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 11:57:33 AM »
If all else fails, write the administrator.
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline timby

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 05:19:17 AM »
picclock, your name does not seem to be on the members list, perhaps you should try to register again.

Or perhaps your application is awaiting approval?

Offline picclock

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2018, 11:28:28 AM »
Hi Timby

After signing up (July 8th) I got an email, part of which said :-

Your Username is: picclock
Your Activation ID is: 9eaa45d05465be28b6aa26cb9f1c5ff9554b9c44
If you are still having problems signing up please contact a member of our support staff at info@tractiontalkforum.com

which I duly activated by sending a reply.

After a few days I tried to contact the info site but I got :-

Delivery incomplete
There was a temporary problem delivering your message to info@tractiontalkforum.com. Gmail will retry for 22 more hours. You'll be notified if the delivery fails permanently.

I can log in OK and it says welcome back

Welcome, picclock.
You last visited: Yesterday at 12:08 PM

If I log out, then log in again it comes up with a list of the forums, but as soon as I click on one (doesn't matter which) it comes up with the aforementioned :

There are 3 restricted access forums on Traction Talk.

The Supporters forum is only open to members who have donated towards the running costs of Traction Talk. The Supportes forum contains a library of historic traction engine documents, and access to an image hosting service to enable Suporters to include pictures with their messages. To make a donation, click the Donate link on the forum main Navigation Bar.

The Show Organisers forum is open to organisers and managers of steam events. To gain access simply PM Martin (MartinP) or David (Steam Scenes) with a request and include details of the event to which you are associated.

The Irreverent forum is open to members who request access, but contains jokes, images, videos and other material that some may/will find offensive. To gain access simply PM Martin (MartinP) or David (Steam Scenes) with a request.

So I think its broken for me.

I note you said :-

Or perhaps your application is awaiting approval?

That could be the case but I would have expected to view the forums even if I could not post.

Any help you can give much appreciated.
Best Regards
picclock
Engaged in the art of turning large pieces of useful material into ever smaller pieces of (s)crap. (Ferndown, Dorset)

Offline picclock

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2018, 01:27:28 PM »
@timby
Just noticed that if I try to reply to the joining email again the site says :-

Your account has been activated but you are currently in the moderation queue to be added to the forum.

Best Regards

picclock

Offline timby

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2018, 01:38:16 PM »
I have messaged David (Steam Scenes)  before you replied  here,   lets hope that helps.

Offline timby

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2018, 04:56:19 PM »
A message from Steamscenes,

Quote from: Steam Scenes
Yes we've been having some problems.

Tell him to try now - it should be working.

David.

Your name is in the members  list now.

Offline picclock

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2018, 02:45:57 AM »
@Timby
Many thanks for your assistance - its all sorted now.

Should be useful in my attempt to build a 'Minnie' traction engine.

Best Regards

picclock