Gallery, Projects and General > Neat Stuff

in a flap at Farnborough

(1/2) > >>

BillTodd:
I've just got back from a trade day at Farnborough air show .  There is the usual small booth BS that accompanies the preiphery of the aircraft business   - 100's billions of currency units changed hands this week, so there's always some thing to pick up, business wise - even I have found myself designing machines to make bits to fit sub assemblies , for assemblies that eventually find there way on to an aircraft. Among the smaller booths this year was a couple of guys with a completely off-the-wall idea that caught my eye and I think might interest you lot here:

www.volerian.com

a propulsion system based on a ducted flapping wing! 

Bill

tom osselton:
I don’t know I think it’s going to be a nightmare to maintain!

vtsteam:
Nothing like rendering up a scene of happy city dwellers fluttering about like butterflies among the skyscrapers.  What city wouldn't want several hundred thousand of them stalled wing to wing flapping internally in unison, burning kilotons of fuel at rush hour, cawing 20 stories up, or buzzing by office windows, pulling U-turns in a 100 foot width between buildings. Seems easily do-able with the right software and the glut of synthetically produced hydrogen we'll have.

Come to think of it, why wings at all? Too complicated. Just fill a sack of hydrogen and wave a canoe paddle. Joust with your fellow travelers. Outta my way, Bub!

The future is wonderful stuff.

S. Heslop:
They're some bold claims on that website!

I've heard that people in the investment world are having a hard time finding things worth investing in. Which explains why the whole (mostly Californian) tech bubble has survived so long on just a few successes. There's alot of people with deep pockets wanting to be first in on the next big thing, and I get the impression that they're not very informed when seeing pitches like on that website.

About a year ago i read this and I remember thinking it was a good explanation as to what the hell Uber is supposed to be, and you can assume this is how alot of these companies function and survive to some degree. https://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2016/11/can-uber-ever-deliver-part-one-understanding-ubers-bleak-operating-economics.html

PekkaNF:
Slight promice of tax evasation is like gummy bears, no person with too much money can resist the idea of getting something tax free....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version