Author Topic: Rod and pipe stock storage (racks)  (Read 7645 times)

Offline PekkaNF

Rod and pipe stock storage (racks)
« on: July 25, 2018, 12:06:30 PM »
I don't like to stack materials, because hard to find the right size (and length). I decided to stock small diameter round/square stock based on length/grade system.

I use paint or colored electrician's tape to mark two grades of tempering steel and silver steel from other drawn steel.

Short stumps are kept in boxes, for some reason I seem to accumulate more aluminium offcuts than steel.

1: Next place is upright rack, that has about 300/600/900 mm pipes in 3x3 configuration, I collect there all odds that I need randomly and never remember if I have them.

2: I tied together with wood frame and hoop bunch of drain pipes, all 700 mm long (same length than depth of the storage unit). I keep there certain material that has fairly immediate use or is for next project.

3: up to room height stock (mainly key stock and mystery steel from junkjard) is kept on a rack that has gates (swing up) to prevent rods from falling. This works pretty well, because all can be very upright without any risks.

4: Most valuable rods are in a box that is atop of the storage self. This rack is such way that it is easy pull out single rod, and it does not use much space, because I left enough height for standard storage boxes.

I tried the standard rod rack approach, but it worked badly for me. I was having a lot wasted space, clutter atop of stock, I had to rummage trough and hard to keep order of different lenghts.

Pekka

Offline RotarySMP

Re: Rod and pipe stock storage (racks)
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2018, 02:20:57 AM »
Storing the wide variety of stock the hobbiest needs is quite a pain. You have done it well.
Mark
Best regards, Meilleures salutations, Mit freundlichen Grüßen, Cu salutari
Mark
https://www.youtube.com/c/RotarySMP

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2018, 09:31:57 AM »
Thank you,

My driving force was frustration: pile of mixed stockleaning against to wall and risk of it falling (I still have it, but it is smaller) and time spent on finding correct length of material for the project.

I still have a pile of 100 mm dia cast iron round offcuts, I managed to scoure from one mill. Those would benefit from a small wood pallet or WW2 ammo box sort of box, but that has to wait another inspiration.

Plastic and aluminium is sensitive to hangar scratch, it needs separate storage, now they are jumbeld in a plastic boxes, not easiest to find the correct piece. Lucily I use them least and there is a nearby a shop where I can buy Nylon or delrin rods, no need to stock that much.

Offline Will_D

• National Homebrew Club of Ireland
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2018, 04:08:52 AM »
Should that have been posted on Andrews thread?
Engineer and Chemist to the NHC.ie
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie/forum/

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2018, 05:00:42 AM »
PK will turn this to click bait. Too much Fosters? :)

Offline PK

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2018, 07:39:25 AM »
Y'all know that Fosters is just a joke we play on the rest of the world right?

No one here drinks that stuff......

PK

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2018, 12:44:57 PM »
I know! It is the same thing with mexican beer and tequila, no mexican recognizes the stuff that is sold and advertized.

But if you did Fosters and that was the reason, wouldn't that be really embarassing?

Offline PK

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2018, 07:22:03 PM »
I know! It is the same thing with mexican beer and tequila, no mexican recognizes the stuff that is sold and advertized.

But if you did Fosters and that was the reason, wouldn't that be really embarassing?
:-) Not as embarrassing as having stuffed up sober methinks....

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2018, 04:14:02 PM »
:-) Not as embarrassing as having stuffed up sober methinks....

Correct :beer:

I don't need beer to goof thing up, but I can do really spectacle out of myself with serious alcohol....last year I had "few" with my friend, took train almost back home....walked few kilometres, made it home, picked up fight with ducks and almost lost....my daughter came outside to see the rockus (for my rescue) and laughed her ass off at my missfortune. Incident has become a family joke.