Author Topic: Bandsaw Jig  (Read 2393 times)

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Bandsaw Jig
« on: August 04, 2018, 09:36:11 PM »
So... I am terrible with wood. However, I have some projects coming up where I need to cut 1.5" cubes into 3 equal slices on my bandsaw. I am terrible at it by hand, so I am thinking some kind of work holding Jig to help.

I have some ideas... but am not sure where to start.

Anyone do something similar or have ideas on how to work this out?

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Chuck in E. TN

• USAF Retired
Re: Bandsaw Jig
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2018, 09:53:37 PM »
I have done similar on my old Delta bandsaw, making blanks for Fly Reel seats, similar to pen blanks. I clamped a piece of aluminum angle to the saw table for a fence. Took some practice cuts on a scrap piece to set the thickness of cut and adjust for the twist of the blade. There is a term for that but I can't remember what it's called.
Be sure to set the guide to the height of the blocks you'll be cutting.
Chuck in E. TN
Famous TN last words: "Hey ya'll, watch this..."
MicroMark 7x14, HF X2 mill, Green 4x6 saw. Harbor Freight 170A mig

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
Re: Bandsaw Jig
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2018, 11:44:32 PM »
Eric, the clamped-on angle-iron fence is good, or you can also use a wooden fence.

I'd probably use two fences to really trap the cubes, and don't forget to use a wooden pusher, not your fingers!

I'd cut all the cubes one cut first. Then move one fence in closer to do the second cut through all the once-sliced cubes.

As mentioned earlier, orient the fences according to how the bandsaw wants to cut -- not necessarily square to the table. Your cut will wander unless you pay attention to this on a bandsaw. Do a test cut with a longer easily handled piece of wood with a pencil line down the center. If you cut to that line freehand and stop about halfway through, the wood will naturally have taken the right angle to stay on that line. Keep that same angle with your fence.

You do know you'll be losing width of your finished slices to kerf, right? Understand how that will affect the center piece vs the two outer pieces, when spacing your fence(s). The inner piece otherwise will be narrower than the outer pieces, unless you compensate.
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg