The Shop > Tools

Raising the boxford

(1/2) > >>

Coldrolled:
Howdi,

I have got my first ever lathe up and running a boxford BUD, well sort of.

I feel that it is a little to low for me when using the lathe and would also like to remove the wooden wedges from underneath it for someting a little more robust.

What are peoples ideads on adjustable feet (have to be adjustable due to my floor in the workshop)? My plan is to weld a plate over some 2" tube, tap a m16 hole and use some bolts as the adjusters. Only lifting it around 70mm. Would anyone advise bolting it down or would just sitting be fine.

I chose the desing listed as thats what i have kicking around the workshop.

Cheers

seadog:
This was my solution

Coldrolled:
Cheers seadog,

Wow, I must commend you on the clenliness of your workshop floor. Do you find that stable enough? I am judging from the picture that they are M8 at around 50mm lift?

seadog:
If only. That was just after I'd built it and was in the process of refurbishing the lathe. They're 16mm if I recall and they raised it by about 4" and I had to open out the holes in the cabinet slightly to get them to fit.
I was lucky to come across four new ones on eBay, I think they're made by Bosch. I paid around £24 including postage, which is probably a quarter of list price.

RotarySMP:
I used the 60x60mm version of these to raise up my lathe, and especially to stabilise the lathe on the uneven tiles of my basement.
https://www.ebay.at/itm/Maschinenschuh-Maschinenfus-Maschinenfuse-MFSL-Serie-Schwingelement-NEU-OVP/331774261417?hash=item4d3f4978a9:m:mnrNTlaHH1PI0RQ0__836kw
They are excellent. The rubber damping makes a subjective difference to the smoothness of the machine.
Mark

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version