Author Topic: Removing an Arbor from a Chuck  (Read 5947 times)

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Removing an Arbor from a Chuck
« on: August 11, 2018, 01:37:05 PM »
I posted this in another forum where someone was in difficulty, but thought it would be useful to put it here as well:

Warm the chuck in boiling water keeping the arbor cold with a wet rag . Have a glass of salty water and crushed ice standing by well mixed, when the chuck is good and hot plunge the arbor (only the arbor) into the freezing water and you will find that the taper far easier to tap off due to the expansion of the chuck and contraction of the arbor.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline rotorhead

Re: Removing an Arbor from a Chuck
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2020, 06:42:04 AM »
Hi Andrew,

That's an interesting solution to the problem, I know it's a late reply, but I've only just really come back to the board.

I've had the problem in the past, but sought a mechanical way, always do it now to new chuck/arbor assembly.

I drill a 3/8"/10mm hole in the chuck body through to the arbor space, chuck has to be over 3/8"/10mm capacity obviously, but to no detriment to either.

Upon needing separation, just drift the arbor out with a stout 3/8"/10mm long punch.
Chris
Sunny Scunny,
North Lincolnshire.

Offline timby

Re: Removing an Arbor from a Chuck
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2020, 01:38:04 PM »
Hi Andrew,

That's an interesting solution to the problem, I know it's a late reply, but I've only just really come back to the board.

I've had the problem in the past, but sought a mechanical way, always do it now to new chuck/arbor assembly.

I drill a 3/8"/10mm hole in the chuck body through to the arbor space, chuck has to be over 3/8"/10mm capacity obviously, but to no detriment to either.

Upon needing separation, just drift the arbor out with a stout 3/8"/10mm long punch.

I wonder why the manufacturer did not do that in the first place.