Gallery, Projects and General > Project Logs

Taper attachment build

(1/5) > >>

WeldingRod:
As I've mentioned before, I have an exotic Hardinge: a TL10.  As you might expect, Hardinge taper attachments are pretty rare and pricey.  The one that fits the TL10 well, I think I've seen one...
The reason this project exists at all is that Ken (shaylocomotives-at the domain of-charter.net)  has castings for the way and the slide ($50) to match the Hardinge design (which is available on the Hardinge Lathe group).  The base casting is much more complicated and runs $125.
True to form, I started with measurements and 3D models (since I wasn't totally sure where all the bits were really supposed to be).  And, of course, I might have put a non-stock digital read out on the top edge of the mounting surface for the taper attachment https://madmodder.net/Smileys/default/doh-45.gif  It took a few tries to get the dimensions right, but it resulted in a functional taper.  Not very precise, of course...

WeldingRod:
Initial fit up of the plasma cut parts!  You might note the notch on the center plate to line it up.
Second photo is the mounting surface for the taper slide.
Then, copious welding!

WeldingRod:
Aaand, a comparison with the Sketchup model; looks good!

Off to the mill!  I flatted the whole bottom (with a bit not cleaned up) to make subsequent work easier.

Flip and cut more.  Carbide end mills rock!  Oh, and if you don't have a ring lite on your mill, you really need one!

WeldingRod:
My Rockwell isn't super big, so I had to turn it around and indicate it in.  I used the end mill to clean the edges while it was in the first setup so I had a reference.

I had to do some rather fiddly measurement to get the end of the end mill to cut the top edge of the key I needed.

One side of the key done!

WeldingRod:
I relieved the center to make fit up a bit easier.

Installed on the lathe with the plastic bits on top.

Crud.  A little higher than planned.  At least those parts aren't made yet...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version