Author Topic: Experimenting with a pulse generator  (Read 542 times)

Offline Doc

• Old but still usefull (I hope) ?
    • My Youtube Channel
Experimenting with a pulse generator
« on: August 13, 2018, 11:09:08 AM »
Experimenting with a pulse generator for ignition coil says it all. I purchased it off Ebay some time back for $2.00 to play with. It was a hot very humid day so I played with it to see if I could get it t work as an ignition coil. It will throw a nasty spark at 1.5v "D" battery to 12v lantern battery.
Any way here is a video of the experimenting I did with it.

George

Offline John Rudd

Re: Experimenting with a pulse generator
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2018, 11:27:52 AM »
Pretty good Doc....
Thinking of using one on my Webster engine... :zap:
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline Doc

• My Youtube Channel
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2018, 01:30:52 PM »
Well I have convinced myself that they will last a considerable time I've ran it on and off for about 6 or 7 hours and still seems to be the same. Longest non stop run was 45 minutes. So I went ahead and milled pockets in the motors base for the battery and pulse unit. I wired it to a power switch and added a LED power on light and a charging port for a USB power cord. I think it's going to work out alright for me.

George

Offline Doc

• My Youtube Channel
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 10:00:02 PM »
I had a comment that it looked like the motor was harder to start with the pulse unit. So I did a short little video oof starting to let you be the judge.

George

Offline Doc

• My Youtube Channel
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2018, 10:29:28 PM »
One last video of the Six Cycle engine running with the pulse unit. I put a lighter spring on the gov to slow her down. It will now be put back on the shelve for now.

George

Offline Doc

• My Youtube Channel
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2018, 01:44:39 PM »
  Ran the engine on and off a few time the pulse generator still preforming as it should. I added one to a TM-6 unit that I put together and preforms nicely at 4 volts.

I did get the other style of HV generator that I was going to give a try. It will not work as an ignition coil as it is to slow it has a pause to charge up and voltage isn't near as high as the one I'm using on the engine.
George

Offline Doc

• My Youtube Channel
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2018, 08:49:56 AM »
  Just an update the unit on the 6cycle slowly died. I'm hoping it was heat that killed it as I had it in a small compartment in the bottom of the base. It just slowly got weaker until it wasn't strong enough to work correctly. So now I'm going to create a pocket in the top of the base and attach a heat sink plate to it and see if that will work. It did last quite awhile before giving in. Plus I'm going t decrease the voltage to 3 volts I was at 4.5 volts so that may help also. I will keep you posted.
George