Author Topic: Chester 626 riser block  (Read 2873 times)

Offline Markfd

Chester 626 riser block
« on: August 17, 2018, 04:16:54 PM »
I want to fit a riser block to my new Chester 626 mill, which seems to be a popular improvement. I have downloaded drawings from the Yahoo! group & studied photographs, but have a couple of questions. Why is the block bored out which seems to be extra work? Why mill out slots for nuts when the block could be drilled for high tensile studs? Can I use a 4” riser without replacing the z axis screw providing I move the cap head stop on the column higher?

Offline John Rudd

Re: Chester 626 riser block
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2018, 02:21:10 AM »
I made a riser for my mill.
Be careful of the dimensions on the drawing....I found them innacurate. I took my measurements direct from my mill, it fitted perfect first time.

I used studs for the top section.
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline Markfd

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2018, 02:51:55 PM »
I know about the dimensions, the drawings are quite old & my mill is new. I shall measure mine carefully before machining. It just seems a lot of extra work to bore out the centre for no apparent benefit. Does anyone know what size of block can be used with the existing z axis screw. I would raise the cap head stop on the column to prevent disengagement or damage.

Offline Markfd

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2018, 02:54:41 PM »
I forgot to say, I meant studs (with captive nuts at the bottom) that go right through the riser to avoid milling out pockets.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2018, 03:02:57 PM »
If anyone needs a riser block for a Bridgeport I've had one on the shelf for years intending to fit it but never have and probably never will! Actually I had two and the other one went to John Stevenson (God rest his soul) when he had a tall job to do

Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2018, 03:12:12 PM »
There is no need to bore out the centre of the riser block....just machine where necessary to make it fit the column/head
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors