Author Topic: Does anyone know a good place to read about motorhomes & conversions?  (Read 3015 times)

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
As the title. I've just been looking about and finding nothing good. But I know it's a popular hobby so I assume people must discuss it somewhere.

Offline smiffy

Offline Pete W.

Re: Does anyone know a good place to read about motorhomes & conversions?
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2018, 12:45:31 PM »
Have a look at the YouTube channel of 'The Restoration Couple'.
Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't seen the latest design change-note!

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2018, 01:25:15 PM »
That's fantastic! Gives me loads to read and watch. Also that restoration couple guy sounds exactly like my cousin. It's a little unsettling!

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2018, 11:01:43 PM »
Shame that DIY motorhome site died while I was in the middle of reading it!

So I had the somewhat silly idea of living in a caravan or motorhome. I guess it's not too absurd an idea what with America's Tiny Home thing, or various traveller communities. And it seem's preferable to me than renting forever with noisy neighbours on every side, or getting stuck with a mortgage. My grandma's family were all Irish tinkers so maybe it's in my blood, heh...

I even went to look at them but they're all set up for family holidays more than actual homes. Got talking to one of the guys also looking at them. He said he used to build them for a living and confirmed my suspicions that alot of the furniture inside is part of the structure and can't easily be ripped out and remodelled.

Turns out though that the biggest challenge would be where to park it. There's alot of zoning laws and flat out anti-gypsy laws to prevent it legally, even if you own the land or have permission from the landowner. I've read about a few goofy loopholes such as convincing the authorities it's for security, or pretending you're building a house and living on the land for a couple years till the authorities notice. I even read about a couple that divided a bit of land under each other's names and kept moving the caravan back and forth over the boundry every 28 days. I suppose if it was easy everyone would be doing it.

Boy I wish council housing was still real.

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2018, 12:59:00 PM »
There’s always Walmart out here! I would prefer the house as they go up in value, i’m down to owing 12,000 on mine then just property tax for the year which makes it easier as I retire off of long term Jan 1.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2018, 01:18:56 PM »
Simon, if you live in motor home where the heck do you put the lathe, milling machine etc etc etc  :clap:

Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2018, 02:01:42 PM »
Simon, if you live in motor home where the heck do you put the lathe, milling machine etc etc etc  :clap:

On the underside of a flip over bench of course. Or alternately I was thinking that, to my understanding of the law, you can build sheds within restrictions as long as you're not sleeping in them. But I think that's only if you're on land attached to a house. Alot of the medium sized motorhomes had these big luggage storage areas on the bottom. Or maybe a horse box that's half motorhome and half Garage. Can't imagine a bridgeport and a harrison weigh more than a few horses.

Really the big concern was sewage, electric, and water. But if you get registered as a camping site then I assume you could get that all installed. Who knows at what cost, but getting a site liscence isn't too expensive and didn't seem too difficult.

It's all fantasy of course.

There’s always Walmart out here! I would prefer the house as they go up in value, i’m down to owing 12,000 on mine then just property tax for the year which makes it easier as I retire off of long term Jan 1.

Ever rising house prices seems like one of those things that can't (and maybe shouldn't) continue forever. Knowing my luck i'll end up with a mortgage right before it all collapses. I've already got a whole student debt, which they sold me under the premise that it's entirely interest free and I don't have to pay it back until i'm earning over so much. Not too long ago they sent a letter telling me that another firm had bought the debt and decided to start charging 5% interest on it.  And not only that they'd been doing it for over a year before they notified me of the change.

I should've known better than to assume this country has any service that exists with truly good intentions.

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2018, 06:37:35 PM »
You could always wall it in!

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2018, 01:54:37 AM »
You could always wall it in!

I think you are allowed to erect fences without planning permission. It does sound like something you could perhaps illegaly do but i'd want at least some utilities installed, and i'm sure people would start to notice if i'm getting power lines laid.

Also I can't help myself, i've been thinking about this again. Was wondering if forest management would count as a valid reason to have a semi-permanent residence on site. From what i've read the answer is no, but I found some anecdotes about charcoal burners being given permission to live on site. And that makes sense since those kilns need to be tended.

I've also read that there's fairly relaxed limitations on the size and shape of any buildings on the land as long as they're for forestry purposes, but forestry purposes is extremely loosely defined so I think a woodworking shop could fit. Along with the hot tub and sauna. But what's more interesting is the idea that power and water might be essential, as well as bathroom facilities, and probably a phone line too. So perhaps getting that installed would be achievable (if very expensive).

Alot of UK law is fairly vague from what i've looked into. Lots of catch-alls that kinda define things more by their intent rather than their actual structure. But when it comes to caravans everything is shockingly clear and well defined. It's almost as if they want to prevent a certain group of people stalling evictions through lengthy legal battles...

As always this is For Entertainment Purposes Only. I'm only half serious but I think it's fun to think about.