Author Topic: Not software but is computer related  (Read 892 times)

Offline Doc

• Old but still usefull (I hope) ?
    • My Youtube Channel
Not software but is computer related
« on: October 08, 2018, 01:33:36 PM »
A short time ago I removed my hard drive and replaced it with a solid state hard drive.  I do cad work on it and man it has made a difference! I highly recommend this to anyone that wants to increase the performance of their computer. It also made my computer run cooler fan hardly ever turns on now. I think I'm going to do my laptop next.   :thumbup: :thumbup:   
George

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: Not software but is computer related
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2018, 03:10:14 PM »
You will like the difference it makes in the laptop. Laptop drives typically spin slower than desktop drives... you should notice the performance increase even more.
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Online awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2018, 04:01:35 PM »
I was so impressed with the  SSD in a PC I bought to drive my 3D printer, that when my Desktop disk went flaky that got swapped. Same happened with my main 'back up' PC when it had disk problems.

So when I got a Panasonic Toughbook CF-52 from a dealer specifically to interface STEP5 to my Siemens 820T CNC, as he was rebuilding them to order, of course I spec'ed an SSD. It boots SO quickly !

Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Doc

• Old but still usefull (I hope) ?
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2018, 04:05:16 PM »
Yes boot up speed is awesome and programs open almost instantly. I did notice that if you put your computer in sleep mode verse just shutting down it's a little slower to wake up than it is to boot up from being off.
George

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2018, 02:40:33 PM »
I SSD'd an old-ish laptop I bought as a refurb about 3 years ago - it's still brilliantly fast now, and I haven't even had to reinstall Windows!  :lol:

Just bought 2 mini PCs from a Chinese supplier (via Amazon, not personal collection, more's the pity), both with SSD, they're like rocket ships compered to the more leisurely standard HDD affairs.

One thing to remember, SSDs have a finite lifespan of writes, unlike HDDs which either die young or live forever...
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Or: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Online S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2018, 01:10:43 AM »
I think Windows handles SSDs better now, but I remember when they were relatively new there were alot of reports of early deaths caused by Windows constantly defragging them when they don't really need to be defragmented. Might be worth looking into though.

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2018, 03:10:29 AM »
Antother SSD killer was internet browser caching junk constantly. I don't know if browser developpers respect your SSD more than your privacy.

Offline russ57

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2018, 03:52:37 AM »
Last I checked, ssd was even specified as ok for serious database use, and just about every medium to high end notebook comes with ssd.

I think improvements in cell design and especially controller design are to thank.

Collectively they level the wear across the entire device.

Russ