Gallery, Projects and General > How do I??

What can I do with heating oil.

(1/4) > >>

Jo:
I have 700+ litres of spare 28 second burning oil and I am looking for suggestions for uses for it.

The story so far: About 7 years ago my oil fired boiler packed up (6 weeks after it was so called fixed the time before ) and I decided to go over to heat my house electrically and found it was masses cheaper, less smelly dirty etc.... In the mean time the oil tank has sat there 3/4 full until about 8 weeks ago when it decided to spring a leak about half way down  :bang: the first thing I knew about this was an increased wiff of heating oil, then dying plants  :(

Today joy of joys I have been using a fountain pump to pump out about 400 litres and the level in the tank is just below the leak so it might be safe to leave the rest in situ.

So back to the original question: What uses can any one think of for 700+ litres of 28 second burning oil. I am not inclined to try putting it in my modern diesel car. I have been using it as a machine tool cleaner - its a bit smelly. I had thought of adding a little to each of the mole hills to see if that discouraged them to go away but I suspect it discourage the grass and there must be other better uses.

Jo

pycoed:
Maybe you ought to delete this post so the Env Agency don't get to hear about it & you may cop it? :beer:

awemawson:
Get it to me Jo !

I've just shelled out £1800 to top up our three oil fired central heating tanks and my diesel bowser for the coming winter  :bugeye:

(that's 2335 litres of heating oil and 500 litres of Red Diesel)

hermetic:
It is kerosene, so you could use it in a torpedo type blower heater, or a greenhouse or other wick type heater heater. or even sell it to a local farmer. It is very good for cleaning machines and parts, but watch for red sore hands ie dermatitis! Wish you were nearer, I would buy it! You could put it in the car (illegally of course) but I would add a couple of gallons to a hearly full tank to be on the safe side
Phil
East Yorks.

AdeV:
I wouldn't recommend using it in a diesel engine - especially not a modern one. Kero has no lubricity, so your injector pump will, at a minimum, take damage, and may seize entirely. That probably doesn't apply so much if you just add a little to an otherwise full tank of diesel...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version