Author Topic: Hello Mad Modders from Merseyside UK  (Read 12900 times)

Offline paulc1

• I should live underground
Hello Mad Modders from Merseyside UK
« on: October 11, 2018, 03:52:07 AM »
Hello Folks, Paul here from Wirral Merseyside, I am an Electrician and a caver in my spare time however my wife and kids describe me as a sheddy and sometimes as a tool fondler which is probably an apt description because I can spend weekends in my Shed just fondling my tools.

I own a small metal lathe and a rather sexy wood lathe and I am happy being ankle deep in swarf or sawdust but always looking for a little project that lets me lose myself in my shed, I also have a small gas forge for blade making but I cannot really use it without upsetting my neighbours due to the noise :hammer: I offered to supply them with earmuffs but they would also need welding goggles :) just joking of course but I would like to use it more.

:wave:

Offline Pete.

Re: Hello Mad Modders from Merseyside UK
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 04:17:11 AM »
Welcome Paul!

No shortage of inspiration for projects here!

Offline paulc1

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2018, 04:39:44 AM »
Thanks for the welcome Pete, that is what brought me here after following a link :)

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2018, 04:45:31 AM »
Hi Paul from Merseyside.. :wave:

post us some piccies of your tooling please....especially your lathe...what is it?
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline paulc1

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2018, 05:07:06 AM »
Hi John, thank you for the welcome and here are a few pictures as requested, my metal lathe is a little chester conquest(generic chinese) and my wood lathe is a clarke, I am really stuck for space as you can see, I have to store stuff away until needed..I need more space.

you can see how stuck I am for space.
The spacemans helmet is a small gas forge that I made from a calor gas bottle and lined it with plaster of paris and sand.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 07:50:20 AM by paulc1 »

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2018, 06:58:12 AM »
Welcome aboard Paul  :thumbup:

I look forward to hearing all about your projects
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline paulc1

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2018, 07:00:28 AM »
Thank you Awemawson  :thumbup:

Offline kayzed1

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2018, 07:25:51 PM »
Welcome Paul, i have all my stuff in a shed along with two motor bikes....not a lot of room to move...
Lyn. Just around the corner from you as is Ade...

Offline paulc1

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2018, 02:54:21 AM »
Thank you for the warm welcome Lyn, it has been a good few years since I have had a motorbike in my shed. I have noticed that there are a fair few modders from the Northwest of England on the forum.

Paul

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2018, 10:03:09 AM »
Hi there Paul  :wave:

Welcome to the collective :borg:

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline paulc1

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2018, 01:15:02 PM »
Thank you for the welcome Eric😊, I am just having a good bimble around the forums and finding it pretty fascinating.

Paul

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2018, 04:10:58 PM »
Welcome Paul!

I'm down by the docks in Birkenhead, whereabouts are you?

You're welcome to pop in pretty much any weekend for a cuppa & you can gawp at my atrocious use of space... (Lots of space, lots of kit, biblically badly organised...)

Are you any good at repairing CNC machines?

PS: Loving the avatar... I may need to adopt something similar...
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline krv3000

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2018, 05:38:34 PM »
hi and welcome

Offline paulc1

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2018, 03:10:00 AM »
Hi Ade and Krv3000  thank you both for the welcome to the forum  :thumbup:

Ade, I am in Wallasey Village but sadly not able to help with CNC machines sorry, although I would love to pop in for a cup of tea and gawp at your clobber :) that is very kind of you however I would hate to see something that I felt compelled to own :bugeye: but couldnt have lol., I am guessing that you probably have a business down there.

Paul

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2018, 05:32:23 AM »
Literally just around the corner then, I'm in Poulton, just up the road from the Poulton Vic..

No, I don't have a business there1, it's all hobby... trouble is, all my hobbies seem to take up huge amounts of space...

1 Well... officially I do, but that's another story... unfortunately I work in Manchester
Cheers!
Ade.
--

Offline paulc1

« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2018, 12:15:00 PM »
Crikey Ade, I am envious :) but that sounds fascinating, you must have some MONDO hobbies.
When you are spending some time there let me know and I wll absolutely pop in.
Paul

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2018, 04:37:07 PM »
I try to get down here most weekends, doesn't always happen... but I'll be here tomorrow & next w/e if you fancy a brew (I have a £3k coffee machine that doesn't get enough use  :doh:  :loco:)
Cheers!
Ade.
--

Offline paulc1

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2018, 05:40:13 PM »
Hi Ade, if you are around tomorrow (sunday) I would love to drop in, maybe you could message me what time you are about and the address..I will bring the biscuits :)

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2018, 05:43:02 PM »
I try to get down here most weekends, doesn't always happen... but I'll be here tomorrow & next w/e if you fancy a brew (I have a £3k coffee machine that doesn't get enough use  :doh:  :loco:)

Blimey Ade, that's a bit more flash than my bottle of Gold Blend and a kettle  :clap:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2018, 06:33:12 PM »

Blimey Ade, that's a bit more flash than my bottle of Gold Blend and a kettle  :clap:

Hehe - it was bought for the office where I used to work; when I left, they moved, and the new office doesn't have room for it... so I re-took possession. It's a "Flavia Barista" machine, uses pouches & makes quite a few drinks, mainly tea, coffee, chocolate & a few herbal things; and a pretty good Espresso too...

So.. that makes 4 coffee machines on site! I should probably get rid of the three old ones...
Cheers!
Ade.
--

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2018, 02:52:45 AM »
Welcome Paul.

Good to see that ou have diverse intrests.

Hehe - it was bought for the office where I used to work; when I left, they moved, and the new office doesn't have room for it... so I re-took possession. It's a "Flavia Barista" machine, uses pouches & makes quite a few drinks, mainly tea, coffee, chocolate & a few herbal things; and a pretty good Espresso too...

So.. that makes 4 coffee machines on site! I should probably get rid of the three old ones...

There never is too few coffee machines, my daughter jokes that our kitchen liiks like three sigles live in this house: One Rancilio Silvia espresso machien + cofee grinder, one one-cup filter coffee maker and it's own coffee grinder and one hot watter dispencer. And then we have one tucked somewhere standard cofee maker and many mocka pots that we actually use time to time.

Paul got me thinking that would forege fit on my back yard.

Pekka

Offline paulc1

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2018, 04:56:38 AM »
Hi Pekka, Thank you for the welcome,😊 your house sounds like a coffee nirvana.
The little Gas forge was easy to make but I have since seen them for sale on Ebay quite cheaply with a proper burner and lining, mine worked okay but the plaster of paris and sand lining cracked and fell away pretty much after every use but a nice little project none the less. I would say go for it :thumbup:
Because I was using a gas/butane mix blowtorch the metal was not really getting hot enough so drawing the metal out took lots of hammering, which understandably drew the odd complaint from neighbours so I have shelved it.

Paul

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2018, 05:57:20 AM »
Because I was using a gas/butane mix blowtorch the metal was not really getting hot enough so drawing the metal out took lots of hammering, which understandably drew the odd complaint from neighbours so I have shelved it.

Paul

As your neighbour, I would be uppset to if you forged blades too cold - it could cause all sorts of problems like cracks and delaminations. :wave:

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2018, 07:22:40 PM »
Hi Pekka, Thank you for the welcome,😊 your house sounds like a coffee nirvana.
The little Gas forge was easy to make but I have since seen them for sale on Ebay quite cheaply with a proper burner and lining, mine worked okay but the plaster of paris and sand lining cracked and fell away pretty much after every use but a nice little project none the less. I would say go for it :thumbup:

Paul
I wonder what would happen if the powdered fireclay was mixed 50/50 with the plaster.

Offline paulc1

« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2018, 03:26:56 AM »
Hi Tom, that would probably work much better however it was when I was looking at pizza oven fireclay and refractory bricks that I discovered professionally made knife forges complete with high pressure burner (which I know now is just as important as the lining) that will also get hot enough to forge weld for about £130 sterling, so I think I would now go down this route if I were doing it again because the biggest disappointment was not being able to get the metal hot enough to draw out properly.

Definately a bit more research on my part before starting the project would have helped but I was just too excited to get started when I found an empty calor gas bottle in a skip :)