Author Topic: Hello Mad Modders from Merseyside UK  (Read 12896 times)

Offline tom osselton

Re: Hello Mad Modders from Merseyside UK
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2018, 03:01:14 PM »
Impatience works that way but it depends on how much you will use it too! My furnace for metalcasting is insulated with the fibre blanket treated with zircon paint to reach the higher temperatures. I’m not sure about using the fibre for smithing though but it does heat up a lot faster than a solid chunk of refractory weather this will be prone to burn the metal I’m not sure.

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2018, 02:10:01 AM »
.....I discovered professionally made knife forges complete with high pressure burner (which I know now is just as important as the lining) that will also get hot enough to forge weld for about £130 sterling, so I think I would now go down this route...

Any links/pointers on these ones? I might jump on one before Brexit.

Definately a bit more research on my part before starting the project would have helped but I was just too excited to get started when I found an empty calor gas bottle in a skip :)

Never underestimate power of exitement! it is important to get some positive experience or interest runs down fast. Rather few failed blades than two years of relentless recearch before buying one too expensive equipment and then to find out that "I actually need a little smaller one".

Pekka

Offline paulc1

• I should live underground
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2018, 03:13:40 AM »
.....I discovered professionally made knife forges complete with high pressure burner (which I know now is just as important as the lining) that will also get hot enough to forge weld for about £130 sterling, so I think I would now go down this route...

Any links/pointers on these ones? I might jump on one before Brexit.

Definately a bit more research on my part before starting the project would have helped but I was just too excited to get started when I found an empty calor gas bottle in a skip :)

Never underestimate power of exitement! it is important to get some positive experience or interest runs down fast. Rather few failed blades than two years of relentless recearch before buying one too expensive equipment and then to find out that "I actually need a little smaller one".

Pekka

Here is similar to what I found and there are a few different types on offer too.
this one should not be effected by Brexit for you Pekka
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DFS-EMG-Gas-Propane-Forge-for-Knifemaking-Farriers-Blacksmiths-Furnace-Burner/253879288980?_trkparms=aid%3D555017%26algo%3DPL.CASSINI%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20151005190540%26meid%3D5a602829e029449b91715e9a47667bc3%26pid%3D100505%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26%26itm%3D253879288980&_trksid=p2045573.c100505.m3226

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hobby-Blacksmith-Propane-Gas-Forge-Metal-working/323407377585?hash=item4b4c94f4b1:g:p14AAOSw07lbjrXk:rk:19:pf:0

Impatience is a trait of mine unfortunately Pekka lol and after visiting AdeV at his workshop I feel very under equipped and now also feel the need to by a milling machine amongst other things :)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 03:44:39 AM by paulc1 »

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2018, 08:08:29 AM »
Here is similar to what I found and there are a few different types on offer too.
this one should not be effected by Brexit for you Pekka
Impatience is a trait of mine unfortunately Pekka lol and after visiting AdeV at his workshop I feel very under equipped and now also feel the need to by a milling machine amongst other things :)

Thank you. When I look other peoples shops I feel outgunned too. It is probably that we see what we don't have and what we have goes un noticed. Wife will take a notice on it thoug!

Pekka

Offline paulc1

• I should live underground
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2018, 03:12:59 PM »
Hahaha, Pekka that is very true but fortunately for me my wife understands that I like tools just as much as i understand that she likes shoes and handbags :)
its a truce unless its a big purchase then she does not have to know, unless I need her to help me to get it off my van and into my shed, then there is no hiding it lolol.