Author Topic: Stepper Motor size x Axis X2Pus ?  (Read 2355 times)

Offline Buell

Stepper Motor size x Axis X2Pus ?
« on: October 22, 2018, 05:47:57 AM »
So im going to build a power feed to the mill on the original lead-screw..Put a stepper on the left hand of the table, attach to the leadscrew and make some kind of control to make it go back and forth at different speeds. Have seen a few vids online and seems the general idea is to go to big then wish they had used a smaller unit. My thought was Nema 23 unit ..then initially go for the 3nm version which is almost 6 inches long   :)  Having watched someone using it on an Axminster mill saying it was way over powered wondered if i could use the Nema 23 that has 1/2 the output  ? think its  1.26Nm and 2.8amps that maybe the one to go for ? or is it Not quite enough.

theres nothing in the price much its just the size and weight hanging off the Bed..together with the sizes of the motors also reflects on the driver size with amperage or might one cover most sizes.

Anyone had any use of either on a small milling machine they could advise real life situations as apposed to drawings and specs ?

Also because the machine lead-screw has nothing on the end to attach the stepper to any successful attachments used so far that have held up ?

Much appreciated.
If you don't succeed ...try try try again...you can't fail trying.

Offline John Rudd

Re: Stepper Motor size x Axis X2Pus ?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 07:07:34 AM »
I was going to build a stepper rotab. I bought the motor from Arceurotrade, a 180ncm nema 23 sized one which happened to be the same as the one attached to the stepper rotab they used to sell..So if it was man enough for that it should do for a powered leadscrew...Btw, the stepper had a 6mm shaft

As for coupling to the lh end of the X axis leadscrew, I've seen/heard of folk drilling the leadscrew to take a 6mm dia shaft inserted into the end and use an Oldam coupling to the stepper...

Hth  :dremel:
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline Buell

Re: Stepper Motor size x Axis X2Pus ?
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2018, 07:54:54 AM »
This is a Minefield ! You say 18Ncm...sounds like some more math for me ! Nm and now Ncm god when will this end 1! im guessing its the size down from the 3nm version will check.... ahh 6mm shaft umm was hoping a little bigger.. more stuff more me to get wrong ..
Postman just left me a New leadscrew so Im guessing I better get a Plan together !

Will maybe post some kind of Log maybe others will be interested In my lack of engineering skills and electronics !!

Thanks for the info
If you don't succeed ...try try try again...you can't fail trying.