Author Topic: Power hammer  (Read 4153 times)

Offline smiffy

Power hammer
« on: October 25, 2018, 05:15:47 PM »
i decided to make a power hammer to assist with some forging that i need to do for another project , After searching the net I settled upon a design I liked which had some free plans to download and built this  , It is quite a fearsome beast

Offline SwarfnStuff

Re: Power hammer
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2018, 03:19:23 AM »
You are correct, A fearsome beast it surely is.
  Looks like it will shake the foundations a tad.
   The entire neighborhood will know when you are using it methinks.
Great looking project too.
John B

Converting good metal into swarf sometimes ending up with something useful. ;-)

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2018, 12:45:55 AM »
Nice!

The wife wants a power hammer for her forge... Where did you find the plans?

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2018, 04:15:44 AM »
That's pretty awesome looking!

Offline smiffy

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2018, 05:24:21 AM »
The plans I found on https://www.kensiron.com/  The actual frame and hammer can depend on what material is to hand .The important part is the control mechanism that links the foot lever to the control valve and hammer position .
 There is no drawing for this so I copied the photo on the web site and it works as it should , I have had to make some adjustments to it as I could not find a suitable large bore air valve and ended up having to   modified a 5 port 3 position hydraulic  valve instead of a 5 port 2 position valve  The main frame is 12 mm plate the base is 30 mm plate the anvil base is 8 pieces of 25 mm x 300 mm bar cut to 600 mm long .The hammer rod is 1 meter of 50 x 60 bright bar and runs in 4 pieces of oil impregnated  nylon plate . the hammer guide frame is all made in 25 mm thick plate. Total weight is about 800 kgs or 1750 lbs .
I still have to make some interchangeable hammer heads and hammer blocks for the anvil but need to source some large pieces of work hardening steel .
It is possible to go from cracking an egg to full blows without resetting the control valve
I will not bolt the hammer down but will secure  it to some cut up railway sleepers and let it move around
I like the design over mechanical hammers as it is far more controllable, quieter and delivers full power when used at slow speed. 
I have built the hammer to assist in my other  project which is the restoration of a large water mill dating from 1790
The picture is of a drive gear that is beyond repair that I need to replace

Offline mattinker

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2018, 07:45:22 AM »
I still have to make some interchangeable hammer heads and hammer blocks for the anvil but need to source some large pieces of work hardening steel .

Smiffy,
Railway track work hardens!

Regards, Matthew

Offline smiffy

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2018, 11:13:14 AM »

Thanks Matthew, That is what I am looking for. I will go to the Seven railway and see and see if I can acquire some off cuts
 Mike

Offline MetalMagus

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2018, 08:20:39 AM »
Try this one maybe as a build.

It's on my To Do list.

http://www.hammerfireforge.com/cricket.aspx

Sean

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2018, 02:10:06 PM »
They both look interesting

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2018, 06:09:29 PM »
That's pretty awesome looking!

Just reading the description on how he built it....Thats  a helluva big hammer!.( thats my censored comment..lol....) very impressed..
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline JHovel

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2018, 04:27:09 AM »
Other than the wear of the teeth, what's wrong with the drive gear? I would think rebuilding the teeth would be a lot easier than making a whole new wheel!
I take it it's forged/wrought iron? Why would you not build up the wear and remachine or file them to original shape?
Cheers,
Joe

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2018, 05:21:02 AM »
That gear could be flame cut on an oxy-acetylene CNC table given a drawing, which would be relatively straightforwards to create. probable a  bit thick for plasma.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline smiffy

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2018, 08:26:29 AM »
When I have some time I will start a new thread on the mill restoration as it will be a long term project .

The gear is a cast iron  bevel gear driven by the pit wheel which is on the water wheel shaft and it is completely worn out  with several teeth missing . It is 6 inches deep
 I will fabricate the main frame of the gear out of 6 x 1 inch bar and profile  a piece of 3/4 inch plate to the shape as in the photo .
The cone i will form from 3/4 plate and roll to the 20 degree angle , the teeth i will cut from a bar of 2 inch x 5 inch bar and weld on individually , there are 44 in total . The gear is one direction so the teeth are only angled on one side the other side is at 90 degrees to the cone face .

I could have a new gear cast but the cost is prohibitive.

I will not repair the old gear as its important not to make irreversible changes as all the equipment as well as the building are listed   . The old gear will stay with the mill and can be studied in its original state by future owners   

Offline WeldingRod

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2018, 04:00:23 PM »
You might make a quick dxf file and shop it to the waterjet and flame cutting shops.  4" is doable.  Or, make a stack of plates, weld, and finish grind/machine.
Scheme differently!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk