Gallery, Projects and General > How do I??

How would you cut 6mm brass...length ways

(1/3) > >>

raynerd:
My brain isn't engaging...or I don't have the correct tools :-)

I want some 1/4" thick brass, 1 3/4" wide and 14 1/2" long. In fact, I have two of them. Sadly I couldn't get 1 3/4 " so I got 2"

I need to take off 1/4" down the entire length. I won't have the depth in the saw to hand cut it and whilst I can mill off 1/4", it's too long for one traverse on my X3 and it seems a waste of metal when I could get to nice thinner lengths from it.

Any clever solutions. Something I'm not thinking about. Or should I quit winging, being tight and just mill the 1/4" into swarf?

Lew_Merrick_PE:
Table saw and rip fence?

AdeV:
Sounds like a perfect job for a slitting saw - a really thin one ideally. Yes, you'd need to make two passes, and yes, you'd lose the thickness of the saw out of the offcut (hell, I have slitting saws thicker than 1/4"!!), but done carefully & if your mill is well trammed, you should get a decent piece of..... square-ish tiny brass?

Like you, I inwardly rail at the waste of metal cutting a big piece down to get a small part out of (which would have cheerfully fitted into the next size down); usually I end up grimacing and cutting it away TBH. Then again, i'm usually working in steel or aluminium, which are both cheaper than brass!

awemawson:
If you look at reply #70 in my CNC lathe thread ( half way through page 3) you will see pictures of me doing precisely this with brass

(Can't post this picture as on iPad at the moment)

efrench:
Just mill it, save the swarf.  Throw the swarf in the furnace and cast a yoda head.  :thumbup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version