Gallery, Projects and General > Project Logs

water Mill restoration

(1/10) > >>

smiffy:
For nearly a year I have been restoring  a 1790 water mill that belongs to a friend . This is a 2 stone mill  driven by a undershot wheel .
There is also a turbine which I have reinstated
All the work is being done single handed so progress is fairly slow and as this is a private project funds are limited.
The pictures here are of the francis turbine which has a 24 inch runner and works at a head of 5 feet .
All the bearings are lignum vitea and I have used all the original ones as new lignum vitea is almost unobtainable 
 My objective is to be able to produce flour some time next year

charadam:
Where are you in the world?

A location might well produce volunteers, cash, or lignum vitae bowls (bowling green type) that might do for replacement bearings.

I would volunteer if you are not too far away from Wem, Shropshire.

WeldingRod:
There's a gent supplying lignum vitae bearings for engineering applications, and growing the next generation...  ran across it in the ASME magazine a few years ago.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

smiffy:
A few more pictures of the francis turbine . The first thing was to split the drive shaft and remove the coupling then remove the thrust pad and thrust bearing that is a block of lignum vitae 
Then I removed the spider which controls the opening of the vanes . This took some considerable time as everything was seized solid .
Then it was possible to remove the top plate and expose the vanes and central runner .
The years of water running  through it had formed very hard limestone scale that made dismantling very difficult .
  Thanks for the idea of using bowling balls but unfortunately they are way too small as the main thrust bearing would require a cubic foot which would be available but  at great cost

AdeV:
That's some proper old school engineering there! What are the cups made of in the turbine, they look like cast iron - if so, that would be absolute cutting edge technology for 1790?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version