Author Topic: How would you cut 6mm brass...length ways  (Read 3134 times)

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
How would you cut 6mm brass...length ways
« on: October 25, 2018, 06:35:35 PM »
My brain isn't engaging...or I don't have the correct tools :-)

I want some 1/4" thick brass, 1 3/4" wide and 14 1/2" long. In fact, I have two of them. Sadly I couldn't get 1 3/4 " so I got 2"

I need to take off 1/4" down the entire length. I won't have the depth in the saw to hand cut it and whilst I can mill off 1/4", it's too long for one traverse on my X3 and it seems a waste of metal when I could get to nice thinner lengths from it.

Any clever solutions. Something I'm not thinking about. Or should I quit winging, being tight and just mill the 1/4" into swarf?

Offline Lew_Merrick_PE

Re: How would you cut 6mm brass...length ways
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2018, 11:10:55 PM »
Table saw and rip fence?

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2018, 01:56:26 AM »
Sounds like a perfect job for a slitting saw - a really thin one ideally. Yes, you'd need to make two passes, and yes, you'd lose the thickness of the saw out of the offcut (hell, I have slitting saws thicker than 1/4"!!), but done carefully & if your mill is well trammed, you should get a decent piece of..... square-ish tiny brass?

Like you, I inwardly rail at the waste of metal cutting a big piece down to get a small part out of (which would have cheerfully fitted into the next size down); usually I end up grimacing and cutting it away TBH. Then again, i'm usually working in steel or aluminium, which are both cheaper than brass!
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Online awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2018, 02:39:38 AM »
If you look at reply #70 in my CNC lathe thread ( half way through page 3) you will see pictures of me doing precisely this with brass

(Can't post this picture as on iPad at the moment)
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline efrench

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2018, 06:24:54 PM »
Just mill it, save the swarf.  Throw the swarf in the furnace and cast a yoda head.  :thumbup:

Offline krv3000

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2018, 07:12:35 PM »
hi if you look at your hacksaw it shod have two more pins offset put the hacksaw blade on them and it lets you cut it all the way dawn regards bob

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2018, 04:53:06 AM »
I did something similar once and used the bandsaw. But I found the brass curled quite alot from the cut. I'm still not sure if it was from internal stresses or from the cutting. I was able to bend it close enough back but I didn't need anything particularly precise.

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2018, 04:08:41 AM »
Morning folks.
Sorry for the slow reply but thanks for the tips. Got a bit of time to try this today so I’ll let you know how it goes.

Ade, Andrew...just read post 70 on your cnc thread and that’s absolutely what I’m doing. I like how you say you don’t particularly like slitting saws...I only have flimsy ones and haven’t had success so feel the same. The other issue is I won’t be able to move the entire length in one pass so I’m then relying on flipping it around and meeting the cut...which I appreciate in theory should work but probably won’t with me doing it!!

Bobs got an interesting point with the saw! It’s a bit of an effort hand cutting but then I can mill flat.

I’m tempted to have a go with the slitting saw but then it’s £40 of brass and don’t want to cock it up!!  :lol:

Cheers chaps. I’ll post how I get on.

Offline timby

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2018, 04:16:43 AM »
I don't like slitting saws either but I have found that as small a diameter as possible (cheaper) and supported by big diameter side washers works best.

Online awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2018, 05:40:05 AM »
Rigidity is the key factor, and it needs to be not only in the mounting of the work piece, but also the spindle and machines ways.

Any possibility of chatter and it'll vibrate all over the place.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2018, 03:18:38 PM »
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone. Worked out really well with the slitting saw! Better than I could have hoped for!