Gallery, Projects and General > How do I??

How do "They" serrate cutlery knives ?

(1/5) > >>

awemawson:
We have a set of  stainless steel cutlery given to us as a wedding present over 40 years ago. Over the years the knives, particularly the serrated ones, have become less stainless probably due to aggressive dish washer chemicals, and pits are forming where one of the constituents is being dissolved.

Now these aren't particularly 'special' but they do have a sentimental value, so I have had an eBay 'search' set up for the last few years for replacements of the same pattern (Jonelle Dulwich) and nothing has turned up until yesterday. A set of 6 knives, supposedly serrated, popped up, so I snapped them up, but then an apologetic seller  told me that in fact they were plain and not serrated (Tea knives not Dinner knives). I've said go ahead anyway as they are almost identical except for the serrations.

A House guest staying with us this week end said - 'well you have a work shop - serrate them' He's right of course theoretically I could, but how is it actually done commercially - I can see a home brew set up making a right mess potentially !

John Rudd:
I guess one potential method would be to grind the "hollows" with a small radius wheel?

Jo:
I'd clamp a distance piece against the back of the knife to act as an angle guide and use a triangular diamond file - sharpening away from the blade.

Jo

charadam:
Andrew,

Here you go:

http://www.picard-kg.de/en/products-en/grinding-tools/82-schleifwerkzeuge/371-serration-grinding-fapi-serra

awemawson:
I'll put one on my Christmas list  :lol:

I bet those are priced to make a grown man cry !

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version