Author Topic: solder a boiler  (Read 2934 times)

Offline speedibee

solder a boiler
« on: November 05, 2018, 03:54:45 PM »
I have made a replacement boiler for a small  static engine that belonged to my father . basicly  it's a brass tube with 1.5 mm wall . with 2 end caps . will this need silver solder or would normal solder do ?
You are  never alone with Schizophrenia

Offline tom osselton

Re: solder a boiler
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 04:07:45 PM »
I have never heard of anyone using normal solder I’d go with the silver solder seeing as your dealing with a pressure vessel.

Offline chipenter

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 01:48:42 AM »
Elf and safety have stuck there ore in on boiler making it will have to be silver soldered , https://www.sfmes.co.uk/ydrRoot/committees/boilerSC/Forms/testCode2018_volume2.pdf .
Jeff

Offline speedibee

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2018, 06:30:30 AM »
I have oredered some silver solder . it will most likey ony ever run once ,I have to know it works then it will be an ornament
You are  never alone with Schizophrenia

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2018, 07:16:15 AM »
Better an ornament than a dent in the ceiling, or worse, a dent in you !
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2018, 09:29:56 AM »
I have made a replacement boiler for a small  static engine that belonged to my father . basicly  it's a brass tube with 1.5 mm wall . with 2 end caps . will this need silver solder or would normal solder do ?
Contrary to what others would have you believe, ordinary tin/lead solder would suffice, BUT it depends on the working pressure and the safety valve release pressure.

As an example, the makers of Meccano/Mamod used soft solder for their brass boilers but the relief  pressures are fairly low at around 20-25 psi and the heating system is such that the fuel runs out before the boiler runs dry, secondary relief is provided by the face to face surfaces of the cylinder/port block....

eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline mattinker

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2018, 11:49:41 AM »

Contrary to what others would have you believe, ordinary tin/lead solder would suffice, BUT it depends on the working pressure and the safety valve release pressure.

As an example, the makers of Meccano/Mamod used soft solder for their brass boilers but the relief  pressures are fairly low at around 20-25 psi and the heating system is such that the fuel runs out before the boiler runs dry, secondary relief is provided by the face to face surfaces of the cylinder/port block....

You got there before me! I can concur, I remembered the soft solder Mamod stream engine that I had as a child!

Regards, Matthew.