Gallery, Projects and General > How do I??

Power supply for Nema 23 Stepper ?

(1/13) > >>

Buell:
Hi all, Im trying to work out which power supply to Buy for my Build I have a Nema 23 rated at 2.8amps. Now i may Need to get a bigger one if its not powerful enough.. with that in mind I may go to the 4amp version.

So im really confused about the whole electronics rating etc. So thought it would be simple...the motor so Im lead to believe is 12v dc a little bit like my car battery and all components within the Auto vehicle. with that in mind my head says look for a 12v 4amp supply obviously 240v as i live in uk. simple !

So i get the 220v-110 supply power description but then it gets very weird FOR ME !...the output varies from 5v 12v-40v the list is endless , with varying amperage inc.. and then you have regulated unregulated. I realise why im not an electrician ! although I do try to understand it.

Maybe someone could explain very simply the basics and whats important and whats not ? And maybe tell me whats the supply I need ?

In basic terms im trying to get a simple power supply for a power feed for my mill.
Much appreciated help.

Chuck in E. TN:
Buell, unless your going to convert to CNC on your mill, you don't need a stepper. A simple DC motor, like a windshield wiper motor, or maybe a motor salvaged from a cordless drill will be sufficient. The motor can be speed controlled by a cheap Chinese PWM controller, available on E-Bay. For a power supply, anything up to 30 volts is good on a 12v motor. The PWM(pulse width modulation) controller sends pulses of DC voltage to the motor, the pulse with being modulated. The wider the pulse, the faster the motor goes.
I'm not saying a power feed can't be made using a stepper, but if you're not going to cnc, simple is better. Oh, the same applies to steppers pertaining to power. Steppers are current driven, and use a stepper driver to control direction and amount of travel.
I built a X axis power feed for my X2 mill from a gear motor, a PWM speed control and an 18vdc laptop power supply. On the other hand, I built an Arduino based controller to drive my rotary table that uses a stepper for accurate positioning. It so uses a laptop power supply.

Buell:
Thanks for the reply...You say "Anything up to 30v is good on a 12V motor "  To me that just sounds crazy ..makes no sense. My brain says thats like Diesel in a petrol car is ok ! sorry probably not a great Analogy but best Ive got !  12v to 30v is almost 200% difference Am i missing something ? And why just 30v why not 40v or say 60v !

I will be using a stepper with a Driver unit as I have just received them ..im trying to understand and tinker with this to get used to it before I try a CNC or the like.

awemawson:
Stepper drivers chop the output to control the current through the windings. It's the current that gives you the torque and the voltages helps overcoming their inductance.

So it's not like a conventional motor where a 12 volt motor needs a 12 volt supply. My CNC Plasma table steppers are driven from a 68 volt supply but the motors are rated at only a few volts per phase.

. . . it's all in the pulses  :clap:

seadog:
" 12v to 30v is almost 200% difference"

Try 250%

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version