Author Topic: GCS900-2D DRO change mode ?  (Read 5009 times)

Offline picclock

GCS900-2D DRO change mode ?
« on: November 19, 2018, 03:36:40 AM »
Hi
I cannot seem to change mode from a MILL-3 to a LATHE-2. It might have helped if I had the manual, though not necessarily so.
This is a cheapo DRO which I ordered with 1u resolution on AlieExpress. When it came 5u was supplied. I think they sent the wrong scales. Went to dispute and I got ~ 30% off. This all happened some time ago.

However I figure I can use it on my lathe, but its set to MILL-3 and I can find no way of changing it. I can get into the setup routine and change the axis resolution and other params (by holding the '.' button on power up) but it does not give the option to change the mode. The manual has disappeared into the nearest black hole, doubtless it will turn up when I no longer need it.

An earlier version had an s key on the left hand side of the display, but although the panel has the 's' key marked there is no button.

Any assistance greatly appreciated.

Best Regards

picclock
Engaged in the art of turning large pieces of useful material into ever smaller pieces of (s)crap. (Ferndown, Dorset)

Offline russ57

Re: GCS900-2D DRO change mode ?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2018, 03:30:07 AM »
Not sure if this is applicable but I seem to recall an old thread where something similar was discussed.

I think there is a hidden button somewhere., maybe just a little hole that needs a pin.

Russ

Offline John Rudd

eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline picclock

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2018, 09:14:19 AM »
@ russ57
No holes or hidden switches. I took it apart to see if there was anything like that and failed  :scratch:. Just a single pcb and 5v psu, only wiring was to 9 pin D connectors on rear panel.

@ John Rudd
Thanks for your interest. I have a copy of that, but sadly these instructions seem to assume that you can get to the setting during the setup routine (p7) , which isn't the case, as it never appears.

The membrane switch panel does not have a switch at the s position and is flat in that area, despite being printed with an s for one. My other two DRO's are the JCS900 flavour and they both have switches in that position, as indicated by 'clickable' bumps. When I ordered it I thought it was just a clone pf the others, but the axis and zero switches are in different positions also. Likewise the alternate reader head wiring scheme is used , pins 2-gnd +6-9 for supply and signals, vs pin2-gnd and pins 1-5 for supply and signals.

Many thanks for your help.

Best Regards

picclock

Engaged in the art of turning large pieces of useful material into ever smaller pieces of (s)crap. (Ferndown, Dorset)

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2018, 10:40:49 AM »
So there is space for a switch at the position you stated? What if you fitted one temporarily wired in?

Offline picclock

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2018, 11:54:33 PM »
@ John Rudd
No space. Its a membrane keyboard ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Membrane_keyboard, scroll down to see how it works picture ) , a solid layer of 3 materials bonded together. It connects to the circuit via a ribbon cable.

Did have mad thoughts of swapping it for one of the other (JCS900) keyboards, but don't want to end up with scrap. 

Best Regards

picclock

Offline russ57

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2018, 04:14:37 PM »
Is there a hidden switch at the 's' position?
Ie, there is a switch there, but the top is not domed. Try pressing it with say the end of an Allen key.

Russ

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2018, 05:07:12 PM »
Is there a hidden switch at the 's' position?
Ie, there is a switch there, but the top is not domed. Try pressing it with say the end of an Allen key.

Russ

Russ, I think he already tried...see orig post..

Offline picclock

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2018, 04:36:38 AM »
@russ57

The first thing I tried was a small allen key to depress the 's' area. But there is no switch there :-(

If I resolve the issue I will post the solution.

However I would recommend any future purchasers avoid this particular model. It seems to me the JCS900 versions are easier to work with and the button layout is more logical. Mixing and matching with the GCS900 version is not smart as the axis zero and axis function buttons are transposed. Inevitably meaning that when going from one machine to another you zero the axis by accident  :Doh:.

Another snag is that the machines use different pins for the 9 way connector. I may alter the inside of the DRO(s) to accept either 9 pin configuration, its only 4 links on the socket then they become usable with either head reader version (see pinout below).

Best Regards

picclock

Offline picclock

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2018, 06:07:56 AM »
Finally resolved the GCS900 mode problem.

Turn on and rapidly and repeatedly push and release the M/I button (bottom row, third key from the left) while it boots. This will bring up a menu in which dro can be selected using the arrow keys. Press enter and then select the required mode, Grinder, EDM, Lathe, mill etc. Once the correct mode is displayed then press the '.' button, in between 0 and +- key to save. 

Hope someone finds this useful  :thumbup:

Best Regards

picclock

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2018, 08:06:29 AM »
Good to hear you got this resolved...., :thumbup: