Author Topic: 3d printer - Leapfrog creatr conversion  (Read 14006 times)

Offline ddmckee54

Re: 3d printer - Leapfrog creatr conversion
« Reply #50 on: November 17, 2023, 01:23:02 PM »
I've seen worse prints that people were REALLY proud of.  As in thinking this is a high quality print when it had a terrible finish.  What material are you printing, and what's your layer thickness?
Too many irons, not enough fire.

Offline BillTodd

• Colchester Essex (where the lathes were made)
« Reply #51 on: November 17, 2023, 04:25:08 PM »
Hi,

It is Multicomp-pro PLA sliced in cura with a 0.3 layer ,(0.4 nozzle)  .  I'm new to Cura but having failed to stop Prusaslicer causing blob on insert after retract I swapped . Cura's default seem better chosen. except...

I've just had to cancel a print 2 hours in because of missing supports.

I also need to get myself a proper build plate. I have a PEI sheet stuck to a steel plate that bubble up and pings the part off after a while, A creality style plastic sheet to which PLA sticks like s*** to a blanket, but bulges in the middle if I heat just the middle plate ,  and a painted steel plate that seems OK but just doesn't have quite enough 'stick' for deeper parts.

I'm looking for a custom PEI spring plate supplier (the one I knew in the UK has folded)  310x350 is not standard . I can get 350x350 but I'd need to cut it and I don't think my  guillotine will cut a spring tempered sheet well.

Bill

Offline BillTodd

« Reply #52 on: November 18, 2023, 02:30:06 PM »
Aha just found out why my PEI sheet was shyte  - I had a peel off protection layer  :Doh:

no wonder it was bubbling  :)
Bill

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #53 on: November 18, 2023, 04:34:44 PM »
"I'm looking for a custom PEI spring plate supplier (the one I knew in the UK has folded)  310x350 is not standard . I can get 350x350 but I'd need to cut it and I don't think my  guillotine will cut a spring tempered sheet well."

A 4.5" angle grinder and a 1 mm cutting disc would make light work of cutting it.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline BillTodd

« Reply #54 on: November 18, 2023, 04:55:07 PM »
Hi Andrew,  Yes I think you're right . I was worried about damaging the PEI , but looking at the steel panels I'm currently using - sliced out of an old PC box with said angel-grinder - the edges are remarkably singe free.
Bill

Offline BillTodd

« Reply #55 on: November 21, 2023, 03:45:22 PM »
I may be premature but, this is as done as I can get it, until the touch sensor arrives.
Bill

Offline BillTodd

Re: 3d printer - Leapfrog creatr conversion - a new can of worms
« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2023, 01:46:34 PM »
A sleek Biqu microprobe arrived promising +/- 3um accuracy ....

While measuring the logic output, I found it  has a linear range of about 200um thus making it entirely reliant on the logic threshold of the I/O port -   :bugeye:

I cannot seem to get Marlin to use the probe as a Homing device , which is what i bought it for , as i don't really need to level the bed every print and only want to be able to change surfaces (which will vary in height) .

Bill