The Breakroom > The Water Cooler

Lightning strike

(1/3) > >>

naffsharpe (Nathan):
Evening all, yesterday at about 3 pm we heard a very loud crack followed by an even louder rumble of thunder. The strike was probably in the garden . The end result was , one router/modem, one ethernet cable, one ethernet PCI card and one motherboard dead ! Thankfully all 3 HDD's have survived as have all phones . The PC still allows me to read my HDD's but has no comms and shuts down after about 1/4 hour. It's not economically viable to repair . I'm thinking about replacing it with a refurbished Dell Opticron 789/790 SFF from Morgan Computers (UK) . This comes preloaded with Win 10 64 bit , is upgradeable from 4gb to 16gb memory and I can increase HDD size by fitting a larger drive. Can anyone see any drawbacks or potential problems? I can use my 2 external HDD's with no work, I should be able to copy from my internal drive to the Dell HDD. Am I missing something? Nathan.

naffsharpe (Nathan):
In answer to the inevitable question , I'm working from a Viglen 10" tablet through our spare router/modem and via wifi, which is doing my eyesight no good !! Nathan

mc:
If you're not worried about performance, refurbs are as good as anything. Dells are generally no frills, and pretty reliable.

I've never heard of Morgan Computers, but then when I want a secondhand computer, I just search eBay for something that ticks all the boxes I happen to be looking for, as there are plenty sellers offering refurbs.
Only comment I would add, is if going for Windows 10, try and get professional. It gives you that little bit more control over things.

naffsharpe (Nathan):
Thanks' for that  mc . Yes it comes with W 10 Pro 64 bit pre - installed. It should do what I need. Nathan.

awemawson:
I've had stuff from Morgan's over very many years and not had any problems. IIRC they moved a few years back. They originally were at the bottom of Tottenham Court Road by the junction with Oxford Street.

I'm running some Dell Optiplex SFF units that came refurbished and pre-loaded that have performed faultlessly so far. One runs my CNC plasma table and the other is dedicated to my Cetus 3D printer

The only possible downside, but it doesn't affect my applications, is that being 'ex corporate ' they aren't equipped with internal speakers.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version