Author Topic: vibratory polisher  (Read 3490 times)

Offline hermetic

vibratory polisher
« on: December 06, 2018, 02:22:32 PM »
Made a vibratory polisher for my daughter to polish her special stones with! the plastic container lifts off so that she can have different polishing medium in seperate bowls, thus avoiding the mess!
Phil
Man who says it cannot be done should not disturb man doing it! https://www.youtube.com/user/philhermetic/videos?

Offline SwarfnStuff

Re: vibratory polisher
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2018, 12:22:41 AM »
Neat job but I for one would like to know what you are doing the vibrating with. Motor and cam? Innards from an old orbital sander (probably not - noisy things)?
Either way, if it works and your daughter is happy with the result I call that a win.
 :beer:
John B
Converting good metal into swarf sometimes ending up with something useful. ;-)

Offline hermetic

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2018, 09:40:58 AM »
 Hi, it is a large 12v server fan with a hole drilled in one of the blades and a nut and bolt fitted. I started small with a 2ba steel nut and bolt, and will increase the size if it doesnt vibrate enough. Pick a fan with ball bearings as opposed to bushes, as I think the life will be longer!
Phil
Man who says it cannot be done should not disturb man doing it! https://www.youtube.com/user/philhermetic/videos?

Offline SwarfnStuff

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2018, 10:35:20 PM »
Ah, Thanks.
      If I understand correctly the vibration comes from having the fan out of balance by the insertion of the 2ba nut n bolt. With the fan bolted to the underside of the table balancing on the springs it seems to me to be a nice simple and low noise solution.
    Glad I asked.
       Thanks for the reply.
            John B

Offline hermetic

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2018, 01:33:33 PM »
Yup! thats it, and it is very quiet!

Offline SwarfnStuff

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2018, 10:17:21 PM »
Hopefully I will remember this setup should I ever need such an item. Some folk I know use the rotating tumbler type polishers. Horses for courses I guess.
John B

Offline AR1911

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2018, 05:43:35 PM »
I saw one years ago made from a 12” speaker. The plastic container was siliconed to the cone.  It ran off the shop stereo.

Offline SwarfnStuff

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2018, 12:03:44 AM »
Ha Ha AR1911,
        So for rough polishing you pump Death Metal or Punk Rock then to finish with a fine polish, perhaps a Strauss waltz or two???
        The ingenuity of folk on this site is awesome.
Regard all,
John B

Offline Alphawolf45

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2018, 06:50:43 PM »
   I use a similar unit to clean brass cartridge hulls before reloading them.. I'd seriously like to know what kinds of media is used to bring rough stones down to polished condition and how long does it take? Seriously, when I am too old for what I do now I intend to hunt agates and such as a hobby.

Must also mention that your daughter is very fortunate to have a Dad that cares enough to spend his time on a project for her...My Dad could build almost anything, but he never did anything for me.
I am not actually retired ,I merely find myself disabled by an intolerance for productive activity.