Author Topic: Tig tungsten  (Read 12214 times)

Offline Fortis64

Tig tungsten
« on: December 09, 2018, 12:49:33 AM »
Advice needed on which tig tungsten in general terms  to use on mild steel from light gauge sheet metal to half inch thick plate. Been advised to use 2%  lanthanated tungsten . Could you share what grinds you put on them for different styles of welding ,ie...light to heavy beads . 

Sean

Offline WeldingRod

Re: Tig tungsten
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2018, 10:21:34 AM »
Sounds fine.  Pretty steep angle in general.  Steeper tends toward narrower hot area.  DC reverse is much more penetrating.  DC straight is diffuse.  The heat goes with the electrons.  Flat spot is related to current.
Just internet up a chart to get your electrode size right.

Btw, if you have access to harbor fright saw grinders, buy one!!!!  Put on the diamond wheel and revel in moderate speed grinding awesomeness.  It does great on tungsten and carbide, and is slow enough for steel (really).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 05:42:12 AM »
Btw, if you have access to harbor fright saw grinders, buy one!!!!  Put on the diamond wheel and revel in moderate speed grinding awesomeness.  It does great on tungsten and carbide, and is slow enough for steel (really).

This one?
https://www.harborfreight.com/120-volt-circular-saw-blade-sharpener-96687.html
3800 rpm / 140W?

thank you,
Pekka

Offline WeldingRod

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 08:49:44 AM »
Yep, that's it!  I'm 99% sure mine isnt 3800 rpm.  I put one in at work too, so I've run two of them.  It's a brush motor, so you could drop the speed further by going to half wave rectification of phase control.
If there's interest I could publish my sliding table for it.

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2018, 03:51:37 AM »
Yep, that's it!  I'm 99% sure mine isnt 3800 rpm.  I put one in at work too, so I've run two of them.  It's a brush motor, so you could drop the speed further by going to half wave rectification of phase control.

There is enough interest for the sliding table. Please, publish something.

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2018, 02:22:38 PM »
Looks good what grit is the diamond wheel and do you grind them on their side or length wise as it supposedly can alter the arc grinding sideways.

Offline Alphawolf45

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2018, 07:23:41 PM »
   I made some simple arbor for a salvaged 1/3 hp motor that I attached a worn down to useless H46 surface grinding wheel on it and hung the assembly on the wall out of the way and it has been handy and perfectly capable of grinding tungston electrodes. It cost me nothing, has done it's job for years.
    Must say that I used to use a mig welder for everything but the sparks were always setting fire to my shop.. For work inside my machinery rooms the Tig  welder really shines.. I have managed to save jobs by building back up aluminum and steel parts while still in the mill vise after a too dull endmill has pulled out of its collet and ate deeper than the specs called for... My tig is a huge old 700 pound ,300 amp beast that will outlive me... I can repair my old beast, I couldn't do anything with a modern inverter if it fails me.
    Cant imagine why a good thread like this has stopped being attended when it is such a good subject. Me suspects it carried thru the life expectancy of the Horror freight tools...I don't buy from them, anything ever.. I've been in their stores twice...Could be some good in there that I didn't encounter.
I am not actually retired ,I merely find myself disabled by an intolerance for productive activity.

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2018, 02:51:16 PM »
My welder is about 700 lbs too it’s a Miller 351 it’s a 220 version of the 350 unit.

Offline Alphawolf45

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2018, 06:03:32 PM »
Tom  I will have to Google Miller 351,as I am not a bit familiar with it. Miller is a good machine. My Mig welder , one of the few machines that I bought new is a Miller and I get out there every few years and clean it and add a coat of car polish...Hehhheheh . And actually at this moment I cant remember what my TIG beast is, Model ? Dialarc is the brand.., Old machine. Nearly everything I own is worn, wore out or broken.. But I like the old stuff.

Today  I was sitting in the car an hour each way to the hospital for another round of Chemotherapy.. I got to thinking about my disdain for anything Harbor Freight and I decided that I have been very silly.. At least once a month I order something from China and while some is very good stuff , sometimes it's pure junk.. Those odds are just the same as going to Harbor freight- actually harbor Freight would be better if you are near a store as I am and can go in and look at the item before purchase. I received their email flyer today and reviewing it I see an electric chainsaw sharpener that I should go look at , maybe next week.
I am not actually retired ,I merely find myself disabled by an intolerance for productive activity.

Offline WeldingRod

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2018, 08:04:15 PM »
I built my first welder, but then got gifted hundreds of pounds of moving coil stick welder.  I mutated it almost beyond recognition, then got given a freakishly heavy and awesome tig machine.  I, of course, passed on the my other one in that noble spirit of giving tools a good home!

Offline WeldingRod

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2018, 08:04:55 PM »
I built my first welder, but then got gifted hundreds of pounds of moving coil stick welder.  I mutated it almost beyond recognition, then got given a freakishly heavy and awesome tig machine.  I, of course, passed on the my other one in that noble spirit of giving tools a good home!

Offline Alphawolf45

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2018, 06:53:24 AM »
 Welding Rod  I build guns for serious competition . The last I completed was an exact copy of a Marlin 1889 lever action repeating rifle in an obsolete caliber (.25-20) . It was Marlins first side ejection lever gun.. Somehow when I was tapering the upper and lower tangs I took too much off one side of each of them. I put the metal back using my Tig.. I often say that I couldn't build a gun if I couldn't weld...And I have an original Marlin 1888 which is Marlins last top ejecting lever gun- very rare and valuable, only made one year, and only 6000 were ever produced. But somewhere along the line the bore rusted out and some dufuss scratched a deep slit in the chamber in apparent attempt to remove a stuck cartridge case with hammer and cold chisel.. So I removed the barrel , drilled and reamed it out for a replacement liner. (.32-20) AND because some other dufuss used a pipe wrench on the barrel in the past in a failed attempt to try removing it and rounded the octagon barrel's edges , I doctored the damage with my old tig…
   Hey want to mention that when I was 12 my Dad took me to a gunshop and bought me a battered old .22 revolver.. The barrel was just pressed in and pinned but cylinder was so far out of alignment with the barrel that firing it cracked the frame on both sides of the barrel.. Dad and I took it over to my Uncles house and who used an old moving coil stick welder to weld that pistol back together... I still marvel at his beads ..We didn't own a milling machine or surface grinder to level them off so they remain to this day- and considerably better weld than I can do with a stick electrode. Some years ago I made a lot of new parts for the old pistol so that it would be safe to fire but I didn't touch those welds.

I would very much enjoy having a TIG welder for tiny amperage work- say 10 amps.. But my eyesight is so bad that I cant see the puddle below about 80 amps of heat.

Offline howsitwork?

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2018, 03:11:39 PM »
an early happy new year to one and all.

please publish table alphawolf .

I often wonder into our u.k. versions of harbour  eg homebase or b and q . purely to see what i’m missing and have been known to spend birthday gifted vouchers there, if i see something I “ need” . Beats spending time on a golf course unless that’s what lights your candle....

Still haven’t thought of a good enough excuse to buy a tig ( got 2 mig sets ) as yet.. Anyone got any good “reasons” that might stand upto SWMBO interrogations???

Ian

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2018, 03:31:11 PM »
Have I got it wrong - I always thought Harbour Freight was more like Machine Mart  :scratch:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Alphawolf45

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2018, 04:43:34 PM »
  I wasn't familiar with Machine Mart so I googled. They and Harbor Freight sell the same things only the Chinese manufacturer puts a different name on the product for whatever the importer wants to call it..
      I have one red line in the sand that I wont cross. If a product has "Professional" printed on it I will not buy it. That is sales jargon to entice non-professionals to make the purchase.. An actual professional can recognize quality and usually buys a brand name that he has been happy with in the past.
      I say it this way and believe it is mighty close to being true- A quality tool wears out but a cheap tool breaks , there are no exceptions.

Ian The best thing about a TIG is that you can weld without setting the shop on fire.. My ammo reloading bench is just 8 foot  from my welding bench.. And I spill gunpowder on the floor. It makes for a real purty fireball if I use that spark shooting Mig and a hot spark gets on that powder.... But a spark will set fire to paper towels and steel wool . And if you have a plastic cigarette lighter laying near a Mig in use , that is a bad explosion just waiting to happen. Tig is much safer- it is also a lot slower and not as good for large fabrication jobs so I'd say the decision is up to you and your wife should quickly agree to your best judgement.

Offline Alphawolf45

« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2018, 05:01:27 PM »
 On the TIG/MIG differences I might also argue that it is easier with the TIG to swap over to welding aluminum or brass or stainless steel than it is with a MIG. Also you can preheat your workpiece with a tig torch and that isn't possible with a MIG...Oh no, I think a TIG is essential.

Offline vintageandclassicrepairs

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2018, 03:16:36 PM »
Hi All,
A year ago I bought a DC TIG welder from Rtech, I did not buy the AC/DC version as My skills are not up to welding alloy, I have a friend who has the "Bee's knees" Rtech plant that I get to do any alloy repairs.
Previously I had a scratch start inverter but only got mediocre results with it, the arc never seemed stable. I had difficulty with distorted vision wearing glasses inside several different auto darkening welding helmets I tried, adding lenses to normal masks did not help much either :bang:

When I ordered the Rtech I opted to buy their "True Colour"  mask at the same time, (saving shipping)
The new mask has made a huge difference to my welding, the larger viewing area and clarity are 1st class
I can now see where I'm aiming the torch LOL, 
I asked three friends who are very experienced welders to try out the mask and they all said "I'll have to get one of these"
 :beer:

John

Offline howsitwork?

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2018, 03:18:06 PM »
Hmm

thanks for the new year impulse purchase thoughts ! Hadn’t  thought about pre warming using it.

As I have a wood working workshop , I try to weld either in garage or outside. I ave silver solder3d in the workshop then decided it was not too good an idea when I looked around at what’s flammable!  :doh:

I did once decide to unblock a lit primes stove which I was testing
“ on the bench” . I think I could match you rude word for rude word as the steam of burning paraffin shot towards the ceiling and reality suddenly intruded into my keen investigation of the problem.🤭😳

The resulting fast extinguishing and clean up made me think a bit more carefully!

If I do go down the TIG line it will be an ac dc version so i can try alloy fusion too.

Happy new year to one and all.

Ian

Offline Alphawolf45

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2018, 05:28:15 PM »
  I need a new helmet and John has now convinced me to buy a true color hood...Found one on Ebay claiming it can TIG weld down to just over 2 amps...Amazing.. My current hood and my awful eyesight limits my lowest amperage welds to approximately 60 amps...You men do know you cant say anything that doesn't register with readers.. I trust forum members far more than the anonymous persons posting their reactions to use of a product.
 Thank you John

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2018, 07:44:11 PM »
Hi Alphawolf45
I hope the mask works out for you, they have a wide range of settings
and Happy New Year

John

Offline WeldingRod

« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2019, 03:29:31 PM »
I'll look at true color!
The key thing is to get an adjustable shade helmet!  Huge help there!
Another good trick: put lots of light on your work to reduce the contrast between the arc and background.

I'm definitely a TIG enthusiast, and recently discovered TIG brazing; way cool!

The photo is a hand pump I did for the kinds school, based on the Watt linkage, and designed to be safe for little kids.  It looks better with the deck around it.  My kids are a lot older now ;-)

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2019, 04:24:41 PM »
That’s quite the pump!

Offline Auskart

« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2019, 11:48:27 PM »

There is enough interest for the sliding table. Please, publish something.

Details of your sliding table would be nice.

Offline Alphawolf45

« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2019, 02:14:15 PM »
 John , Now that I have the true color helmet ordered I am like a child waiting for Christmas morning - really looking forward to giving it a try as most of my TIG jobs involve adding a tiny bead to fill in a dent or the gouge made from bad move with an endmill. And often I have to make the weld while unable to see the work.. If I have drilled hole in wrong spot and need to fill it in and recut I'll generally just use the MIG...……………….Nice thing about TIG is the very wide veriaty of available filler rods.... Only recently I have played with TIG brazing as has Weldingrod… However the most recent time I needed to add brass as a bearing surface I used a torch with flux coated brass filler rod because I think-unsure- but I think with the gas torch that I can add the braze using approximately 900F less heat to the workpiece than when using the TIG ?? . Trying to minimize heat distortion... I weld , I am however not to be confused with a real welder.
      I want to mention that I often get shocked using the TIG unless I am wearing a welding jacket and gloves but not once ever has a MIG bit me...I did also get zapped pretty bad when using an arc welder while laying under farm machinery and stick welding.....Welding can be a lifetime of learning all by itself , I will never be a great welder though I learned to weld in a class in 1973 .

« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2019, 05:03:51 PM »
Hi Alpha,
If there is any zinc in the brazing rods as a lot of the gas brazing rods have in them
they will not work with TIG,
I'm sure you know this but thought to say it anyway

John