Author Topic: Dear santa...  (Read 3116 times)

Offline BillTodd

• Colchester Essex (where the lathes were made)
Dear santa...
« on: December 20, 2018, 01:19:44 PM »
Please, Iwant a waterjet cutter of my very own  . I wiil keep it safe and warm and love it very much
ta
Bil
P.s. ive been a good boy all year and haven't pulled my sister's hair even once ..

127t gear for occasional metric threading  - straight off the WJ onto the Bantam
Bill

Offline hermetic

Re: Dear santa...
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2018, 02:47:35 PM »
that is very impressive Bill! what size machine, and did you get wet!!
Man who says it cannot be done should not disturb man doing it! https://www.youtube.com/user/philhermetic/videos?

Offline BillTodd

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2018, 02:57:50 PM »
I've been waiting months for the WJ operator to do this for me, the works machine (a BYJet Smart 3015) has been in almost continuous use since its £17,000 service in the summer. (not cheap things to run)

Although I didn't get wet while this part was made , I was soaked and covered in mud while making a venturi pump and filter to keep the machine clear of garnet build up (I'm owed some 'homers'!).

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 03:59:26 PM by BillTodd »
Bill

Offline hermetic

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2018, 06:35:33 AM »
So the garnet is the abrasive element, is it once through and discarded, or can it be recycled?
That gear looks pretty perfect, and I bet it took a fraction of the time that gear cutting would have taken.
Phil
Man who says it cannot be done should not disturb man doing it! https://www.youtube.com/user/philhermetic/videos?

Offline BillTodd

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2018, 07:02:19 AM »
Yes the garnet is trickled through a small orifice into the water stream (3800bar) and keeps the cut surface roughed up so the water (fresh filtered from the mains) can abrade it.

The garnet collects in the main tub along with the kerf and any small part that isn't tagged (hole centres etc.)  . The tub used  to be dug out every few weeks , so to extend the period some I designed the venturi pump .

I used an old coolant pump to push filtered tub water at 40psi into the venturi (via the small pipe) and the resultant pressure drop sucks the tub water and garnet up and dumps the mud into a series of settling tanks before the water is returned to the tub. 

The garnet can be recycled (there are firms that dry and sieve it) but the machine is so sensitive to garnet changes (changes kerf size etc. ) that we only use new stuff.

Bill